RE: [amibroker] Re: Any AFL gurus?

<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>I've wondered about the following:
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>suppose you store them in an artificial ticker
corresponding to each stock you cared about, say SymbolName~Params? each
artifical ticker has O-H-L-C-OI fields, which could cover that many parameters.
if you needed more than that, you could use additional tickers (~Params_1 etc).
they'd be stored in the local db, so AB would manage reading them off disk at
the appropriate times, without you coding anything.
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>you'd have to read the right one, using one of the
Foreign mechanisms, and read the right field(s) in spite of their names. if
these params are static for the history of each stock, you'd also have to use
LastValue or something like that to extend it across all
dates.
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>alternatively, if they're dynamic, you'd need a way to
calculate the full history of them (easy), and place the results in a ticker,
which I don't know how to do.
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>haven't tried any of this, just thinking out loud...
make any sense?
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>
<SPAN
class=644343821-19092003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>This
  is what I'm trying to do:-My system requires a different parameter for
  each stock ie. different moving averages, different periods used for
  calculation etc.  Currently I have to use the Param function and
  interactively change parameters for each symbol.  When I go back to
  the same symbol; I would like to use the previous parameters that I have
  set to produce the same result I had before.  The only way that I
  know of right now is to write/store these parameters into an external file
  in the harddrive and read them back when I go back to the same
  symbol.-I am currently running into problem of AB variable definition
  and initialization.  I want to have a static kind of variable which
  store the symbol and use this to conditionally read in the external file
  only a new symbol is read in.  I do not have a solution.  There
  might be other alternative which I would like to hear.-I have
  successfully implemented read/write to an external file using combination
  of JScript and AFL.  Next is how to conditionally steer the readin or
  not when the new symbol is entered.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx> wrote:> hi, sorry to butt in
  offering being any help, but I'm interested in how> you're creating
  and reading these external parameter files. could you> provide some
  details?> > also, when you say you only need to read them when a
  new symbol is added,> that must mean you're putting the data you
  read somewhere within AB's> universe, like in a composite maybe, or
  somewhere else, yes?> > I've wondered about using the Open
  Interest field for a custom parameter I> calculate for each stock.
  is it possible for AFL code to write data into an> existing quote
  on an existing stock? has anyone done anything like this? I'd> love
  to see some examples.> > thanks,> >
  dave>   Has anyone tried to write AFL code which will only
  executed once each>   time it detects a new symbol just
  entered?  For example:> >   I have external
  parameter files for each symbol.  I only need to
  read>   in these parameters once using JScript for each
  new symbol entered.> >   TIASend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.