[amibroker] Re: FILTER questions.

I think Yuki's idea is a
wonderful idea. This is a perfect opportunity for AFL beginners to learn by
DOING, as Ron said just having to get it all down in a readable fashion is an
effort that will pay dividends.
I'm wondering whether all these
descriptions could be added to the AmiBroker help file (after the
appropriate editing and corrections). Another possibility would be for
Tomasz to add them to the mySQL database with a HTML link in the AmiBroker Help
file, that way it wouldn't blow out the size of the Help file and any
changes/additions would be dynamic. So if an enquirer clicked on the
relevant <A
href=""
target=_blank>See updated/extended version on-line. link they would get
all additions and changes.

Regards,William Peters<A
href="">www.amitools.com
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mrdavis9
[mailto:mrdavis9@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: September 13, 2003 8:59
PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCc: ronald
davisSubject: Re: [amibroker] Re: FILTER
questions.
Yuki said>><FONT
face="Times New Roman">A specific example of practical usage should be given for
AFLfunctions in the reference, I think.  These examples should
bewritten in NON-PROGRAMMING prose. ^_^ They should be the antithesisof
Linux MAN pages.  They should take little grasshoppers like me andlead
them to discovering practical usages for the function.I would be willing
to help anyone that would like to work on thistype of project.  I'm
afraid, though, that my contribution would belimited to cleaning up the
wording, and making it clear.  And also,if I can understand it, it's
probably a great filter for 'ready' or'not
ready'.Yuki

<FONT
face="Times New Roman">==============================================

I am willing to contribute to Yuki's
request for volunteers to write non-techie descriptions of how
Amibroker works. Below, I have written a non-techie answer to a post by
Glen which asked about the setting n=1 in AA.

Anthony's answer is obviously correct, but
I am rewriting it here in the kind of very thorough and
non-tech manner  that Yuki and I would like to be able to read in
the users manual.   Such non-tech descriptions as Yuki suggests
will be of enormous help other non-tech newbys and users.  Amibroker
users will need to suggest  changes to this description if it is
not totally accurate.  Also, please suggest changes if you have idea's of
how to make this description clearer. <FONT
face="Times New Roman">   The
description is directly below.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>=======================================================================
When you set n=1, AA
will check only the latest dated bar in your database in order to see
if your AFL conditions has been met on only the latest dated bar.
However, while Amibroker is executing  your particular AFL instructions, it
still needs to retrieve  data from earlier dated bars in order to
produce things  such as moving average calculations, and other calculations
 that will be required by your AFL coding.<FONT
face="Times New Roman">

When you set n=10, Amibroker
will follow  exactly the same procedure that it did when you
set n=1. The only difference is , Amibroker will first check the bar
that is positioned 10 periods back from the present bar.  A
period will be in seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, or whatever
you  happen to have available in your database for Amibroker to
check.   Once Amibroker is through checking the 10'th bar back, it
moves forward to check the 9'th bar, then on to the 8'th
bar,  and so on, till it finally checks the n=1 bar last.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>====================================================================
I am willing to do write more of
these descriptions in order to help newby's and us non-techies gain
a better understanding of how Amibroker works.   I am
not technically capable, nor do I have the time, to contribute
anything beyond the writing of a few of these
descriptions.

I will wait and see if Yuki, or anyone else is interested in
taking this further.  Ron D

 <FONT face=Arial
<FONT
face="Times New Roman">