[amibroker] Determing Stocks Volatility - help please

Often I notice firms that report stock fundamental and technical
data for a stock will list the stocks "monthly Standard Deviation"
as a percent. Could anyone tell me how I could use any of AB's
functions to duplicate or guage a stocks monthly STD. I have used
the AB's stdev function for the past 30 days, however, I cant match
any of the data presented by thes news sources. Is there a way to
use a montly STD and put the results in a percentage form and/or
should the STD reported for the month be compared to a base like an
index. My thinking is that stocks STD is used to determine the
stocks volatility or movement for the past month.  Could someone
please advise me about stdev function and how they use it to help
them with stock analysis.

Thank You
MR