RE: [amibroker] Re: channel width, in dr. elder's sense

> He's talking about using your eye to fit the channels.  There is no
> way to calculate a MA + parallel lines to cover 2 standard deviations
> (95.7% of variance) due to changing volatility.  You could get one to
> fit for a certain range, but not one to fit all the data.  That's why
> Bollinger Bands are rarely parallel to the MA.  When he says software
> makes it easy to make adjustments, he means in adjusting the parallel
> lines with a fitting coefficient.

clearly the width would have to change, or it would only apply correctly to
a certain range of time, but that's true whether it was calculated or hand
drawn. my impression is that the intent is for width to change slower than
bollingers though.

> He's talking about finding a good MA -- you may want one that the
> price keeps bouncing off in an uptrend, or one that goes through the
> center of the bars, or one that the price stays under in a
> downtrend...  Then drawing parallel lines above and below to define
> the range.
>
> Params in AB make it easy to set this up.

that's what I've done, set Params by eye. just wondering if there is some
mechanical solution.

do you know how to calculate the width required to fit 95.7% of prices
*within a given time span*?

dave