RE: [amibroker] OT: JSCRIPT

in my other life as a programmer, I've built a crude version of this using
regular expressions, but it's not pretty code and doesn't give you pretty
results.

a lot depends on the context you're in, how complex and how consistent the
structure of the documents are, and what kind of result you want. will this
be running in a browser? a known-to-be-recent version of IE, or any random
browser that comes across a public web site's front door?

if you have to deal with any and all browsers, you're very limited in what
you can do. recent browsers, especially IE, have very sophisticated
scripting addressing a very sophisticated document object model, and you can
do a lot. I'm not big fan of microsoft, and there's certainly stuff that
will make you crazy, but that said, it's pretty powerful.

are the documents all the same stucturally, but with different content? if
they were, say, an h1 followed by 3 h2s, each of which has a paragraph of
text after it, then an hr with some plain text after it, you (or I, if
you're not a js guy) could write something to pull out the text of each of
those sections and make it a separate paragraph. if you have some control
over the documents themselves, you can imbed hidden codes to help parsing.

are you trying to preserver anything about the formatting? if you're just
grabbing the text, it's easier, but if it needs to end up as a Word file,
for instance, life is harder.

I guess the short answer (too late...) is that you should post a little more
about the actual problem you're trying to solve, and we/I'll give it a
whirl. write me off list if you want; I'm a web/database developer
professionally.

Dave Merrill