Re: [amibroker] Jurik enhanced indicators

Dave,

Although I have "knocked back beers" with Tim many times, he has never
offered a systematic approach that incorporates the T3.  In fact, for much
of the last 18 months, Tim has played with the StoRSI (which the Fort
Collins group has tagged: "the Karnish System").  Loosely interpreted, it is
a stochastically modified,  momentum oscillator.  He spent a lot of time
tweaking the variables of the formula and optimizing the trigger levels.

I have teased Tim and Dave during the last year and called them a bunch of
"beer-guzzling, over-optimizers".  All in good fun.  They are much brighter
than I could ever aspire to.  In fact, Dave is going to speak this month, to
the Denver Trading Group, on the pitfalls of over-optimizing.  He and Tim
did exactly that with the simple StoRSI approach to the
QQQ's...over-optimized.  They have taken the StoRSI and substituted
optimized variables in the formula.

When I offered the StoRSI, systematic approach, to the their group, in
December of '01, I suggested applying it to the QQQ's with a 13 and 87
trigger.  I also suggested applying a trend qualifier.

Recently, Herman sent me a nice "picture" of the results of this system (on
the QQQ's) with a 21sma as the trade qualifier.  Maybe he can post the
equity graph for the group.  I think the AFL library has all the bloody
details:

 // Steve Karnish StoRSI
StochRsi=EMA((RSI(8)-LLV(RSI(8),8))/(HHV(RSI(8),8)-LLV(RSI(8),8)),3)*100;
Buy=Cross(17,StochRsi) AND Ref(MA(C,21),-1) < MA(C,21);;
Sell=Cross(StochRsi,83);
Short=Cross(StochRsi,83) AND Ref(MA(C,21),-1) > MA(C,21);
Cover=Cross(17,StochRsi);

There seems to be a misconception among technical traders that "quicker is,
indeed, better".  Quicker is better only if it leads to a smoother and safer
equity curves.  There is no doubt that Tim and Jurik have developed some
sensitive indicators.  Neither has incorporated them into trading systems
(as far as I know).

As you are aware, many indicators are helpful in the hands of a disciplined
"artist" that can apply them to markets to make subjective decisions.  Since
I don't trust myself to interpret "wiggles", I lean more toward formulae
that can be slammed into objective approaches that can be backtested (in and
out of sample).

I appreciate vendors like Fitchen (Aberration) that can produce a
independently, verifiable track record.  At least when you plunk your money
down, you know what has occurred during the last five years.  I am less
excited about vendors who peddled subjective tools that are left to the
buyers discretion (to be applied to markets).  $300 for a black box formula
is not something I'm going to spend my money for.

For that matter, I have 100 formulas that I will sell you for $3 each (or $3
for all of them).  There's quite a difference between a "formula" and a
"systematic approach".  Do you want "tools" or do you want "tools and
rules"?  Building the "grail" starts with a reliable indicator (there are
dozens).  This is only the starting point.  I get excited when someone
builds the entire mousetrap.

I will contact Tim and ask him for examples (besides the public articles) of
how to incorporate the T3 into a trading approach.  Jurik's work is floating
around and I'm sure someone can comment on how to apply his indicators.  Try
super-imposing a 10 period ema on top of the Jurik or Tillson work (hard to
tell the difference).  I believe Perry Kaufman turned me on to it.  Keep in
mind, there is a lot of good stuff for free.

Take care,

Steve