[amibroker] Re: simplest way to detect a reversal of direction in an indicator

Phsst,
your word "significant" is the most important and needs further
analysis. What is significant ? Is it enough to have ref(c,-1)==LLV
(c,10) or we need more conditions to add, re the previous behavior of
the function we study ?
I think we need more than a simple ref(c,-1)==LLV(c,10) for a
potential reversal.
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Phsst" <phsst@xxxx> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I probably cannot offer much here. While I understood that you were
> asking about detecting a reversal of direction of an indicator, it
> seemed to me that working with an indicator in this fashion would be
> almost synonomous with trying to detect significant market or equity
> price trend changes.
>
> What indicator(s) are you trying to analyze and what would be the
> ultimate end or purpose of the study?
>
> phsst
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> > hi Phsst, think we're talking about two different things.
> >
> > I did ask a while back about distinguishing trending and non-
trending
> > markets, and did investigate ADX/DMI. (ADX/DMI seems more short
term
> than I
> > had in mind. I was thinking about these months-long sideways
> markets, how to
> > numerically tell them apart from more strongly trending ones, and
what
> > strategies you might take to respond.)
> >
> > but this is a separate question: given an indicator, any
indicator,
> how can
> > you efficiently detect when it has reversed direction by a spec'd
> amount?
> > any ideas?
> >
> > dave
> >

> > > Just a possibility...
> > >
> > > Take a look at ADX, +DI & -DI.
> > >
> > > ADX tells you if a trend is in place.
> > >
> > > Crossover of +DI / -DI might be a decent indicator of a change
in
> trend.
> > >
> > > I have not done any testing on this but you might want spend a
little
> > > time looking at it.
> > >
> > > phsst
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>