RE: [amibroker] quoted text from variable assignments showing up in interpretation???

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [amibroker] quoted text from variable assignments showing up in interpretation???
  • From: "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:22:12 -0700
  • Title: Message

<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>thanks, haven't tried it yet, but you've called my attention to what
looks like one way to do this. I also found EnableTextOutput, which should also
work.
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>I had missed the fundamental fact that quoted text, even on the
right-hand side of an expression, goes to the interpretation window. this is
deeply strange to me. I can see the idea that simply outputting some text in the
middle of code causes it to appear in the interpretation. for example, you could
include the line
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>    Name();
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>...to output the current ticker. still, I'm intuitively mystified that
text contained within an expression, and not in a statement that itself
evaluates as text, still shows. it's hard for me to understand why this is
desirable behavior. it seems more natural that you'd get output only from
statements that evaluate as text. but I can cope (:-).
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>also, output only happens in some cases; this line:
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>    IndexPrice = Foreign(IndexTicker,
"C")
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>...doesn't output the "C". there must be some logic here that escapes me,
but again, I can cope.
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>anyway, so be it, that's how it is, and I think I understand how to work
with it.
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>thanks for the steer,
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>dave
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  believe you can write the line as this;
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>_N(IndexTicker = "VFINX");
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  This
  will stop the printing of the text.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Paul.
  working on a series of charts with
    interpretations, it appears that quotedtext from assignments made in the
    charting code appears in theinterpretation area.for example, the
    following is used before the '//--Indicator-End&#8212;', sinceit's part of the
    charting code:---------------IndexTicker = "VFINX";IndexPrice =
    Foreign(IndexTicker, "C");      [other code
    that uses the variable IndexTicker]---------------for some
    reason, the string "VFINX" (no quotes) shows up in theinterpretation.
    how can I make a string assignment without this
    happening?thanks,Dave
Merrill