[amibroker] Re: Narrowing in on Tradable Stocks

Yuki,

Last weeks Business Week magazine featured an article on "The most
powerful Trader on Wall Street".

Steve Cohen of SAC Capital Advisors... Hedge Fund operator was the
feature.

Aside from validating many of your speculations regarding
institutional activity, the article pointed out several specific
techniques that the big players use to manipulate prices in their favor.

But for us little guys, it is a puzzle trying to figure out the tricks
that the big guys are playing with our basket of stocks.

I hinted in an earlier post that I personally look for linear
relationships in my backtesting.

To date, I have neither searched for nor stumbled across any
particular pattern associated with institutional holding figures that
indicate anything significant in my own backtested trading systems.
However when I see BETA figures that show a relationship to DOLLAR
volume of trading activity THEN my curosity is stimulated. Does the
preceeding mean anything? Don't know yet.

The trading systems that do work for me all demonstrate linear
relationships in the filtering that I use. In other words, once I
notice what appears to be a linear reationship measurement, then I
'turn the dials' on that aspect of the measurement to see if it reacts
predictably or not.

BTW... BusinessWeek magazine is the ONLY publication I've found that
consistantly reveals new insights to business activity that mean
anything to my own personal understanding of trading. Probably a
fruitless commentary on my part!

Regards,

Phsst

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510