[amibroker] Re: Finding Robust Patterns (Dominick)

Dominick,

I picked my bull and bear periods *for testing* by eyeballing charts
of the major indices.  But I trade them essentially the same
regardless of what I think market conditions are, or will be, because
the patterns are robust and nobody knows what the markets will do.  I
guess an exception is that sometimes I'm more careful to cut losses
early than at other times, but this has backfired also.

I think the best way to trade patterns is to find a few robust ones
and then trade them on "well behaved" issues (to paraphrase Steve
Karnish).  I'd be very careful about assigning "probabilities" as if
you're talking about a stationary process like a roulette wheel
because the markets are not.  But taking an actuarial approach, e.g.,
"this has happened 70% of the time in the past" is OK as long as you
realize it's only a statistic and that the future will be different.

Mark

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/GHeqlB/TM