Re: [amibroker] P & F breakouts

mr.davis
where do i find the "standard scan interface page"
that will be a BIG start.
thanks davemrdavis9 <mrdavis9@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't use P & F charts, but for those who do, here is an idea for finding impending breakouts.  Ron D

Finding Strong Breakouts
We've gotten several questions recently about finding stocks that are breaking out of trading ranges using our Scan Engine. Unfortunately, the standard way to scan for such patterns is more complex than it seems. The problem is that the concept of a "trading range" isn't easy to describe to a computer. What's the minimum distance between the top and bottom of the range? What's the maximum distance? How many times does the stock need to bounce within the range? How close to the top must the stock get to constitute a bounce? etc. etc. etc.
Fortunately, there is a shortcut - our Point & Figure pattern recognition feature. Because P&F charts automatically filter out insignificant price movements, pattern recognition is much simpler. A quick review of our P&F Alerts Page reveals that the P&F Spread Triple Top pattern is very similar to the trading range breakout pattern we are looking for. So any stock that has the Spread Triple Top pattern now, but didn't have it the previous day, is worth a close look.
Armed with that info, we head over to our Standard Scan Interface page and plug in the following criteria:

Note the final criteria - "The chart does not have a Spread Triple Top pattern for yesterday". Since P&F patterns can remain valid for days, weeks, or even months into the future, this last criteria line ensures that only those stocks that have just formed a Spread Triple Top pattern are returned.
When I ran that scan this weekend, I only got one stock on the results page - Vical, Inc. (VICL). Here's the P&F chart:

The chart looks promising to my eye - not only is the stock breaking out, but it is also breaking above its long-term downtrend line (red). To be sure, let's look at a standard candlestick chart of VICL:

The Price-by-Volume bars on the left side of the chart show that VICL has been moving sideways for sometime and help confirm that the recent move above $5 is very significant. While more research may be required before we pull the trigger here, this chart is obviously worth a close look.
- Chip Anderson

Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------------------------Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)--------------------------------------------Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=cww20030706-1.gif > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/png
 name=cww20030706-2.png > ATTACHMENT part 4 image/png name=cww20030706-3.png > ATTACHMENT part 5 image/gif name=s.gif
Do you Yahoo!?