RE: [amibroker] Re: Creating a composite index of my watchlist

I figure my data is as
clean as it can be Jayson
What I am trying to get
around is that because the stocks all started trading (or when my data started
for that stock) the composite price jumps by that amount. It is the same even if
I divide the summed prices by the number of stocks within the composite at that
time. I am just trying to get around the gap up.
Yes I agree that the
methods used by the exchanges to determine the indexes is cumbersome to use and
try to code in easily.

 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:SmartTagType
namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
name="PersonName">

<B
><I
><SPAN
>Cheers<SPAN
class=GramE>,<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName
><B
><I
><SPAN
>Graham
<A
href=""><FONT
color=#008080>http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading
<A
href=""><FONT
color=#008080>http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jayson
  [mailto:jcasavant@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 7 July 2003 9:53
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: Creating a composite index of my watchlist
  <SPAN
  class=651322313-07072003>Graham,
  are
  you sure your data is clean? I routinely create 12 sector composites using the
  method you describe (count the stocks then divide the sum of the price data by
  that sum), It seems to work for me...... The description below is certainly
  superior but sounds like a bear to maintain.

  Regards,
  Jayson
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Graham
  [mailto:gkavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 12:51
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: Creating a composite index of my watchlistThanks
  for the repsonses, gives me something to start
  withCheers,Graham<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia-----Original
  Message-----From: Metasan [mailto:mdhuang@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, 6
  July 2003 12:11 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Re: Creating a composite index of my watchlistOne more thing: the
  divider also need to be adjusted when a stock is removed from the list.
  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Metasan" <mdhuang@xxxx>
  wrote:> > There are many ways to calculate an index and the
  following is whatI > do. Just as the DJ30, choose a variable
  divider to ensure the> continuity of the index. index = sum(all stock
  prices)/divider.> > At the beginnig, the index is 100. Suppose
  there are 3 stocks: A,B, > C.> > The initial divider
  d = (A+B+C)/100; index = (A+B+C)/d = 100.> > The divider doesn't
  change until there is a split or a new addition.> > When there
  is a split, for example, stock A has a 2 for 1 split,and > its new
  price is half of its old price, but the index should not> change. So
  (A+B+C)/d = (A/2+B+C)/d1 where d1 is the new dividor. Thus > we get
  d1 = (A/2+B+C)*d/(A+B+C).> > When adding a new stock D, the
  divider is adjusted (on that day) as> follows:> d1 =
  (A+B+C+D)*d/(A+B+C) where d1 is the new divider.> > >
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham" <gkavanagh@xxxx>
  wrote:> > I am trying to create an index of my watchlist of stocks
  that is> consistent.> > It is easy to do if they all have
  traded for the same period of> time, but> > some stocks
  started trading more recently than others. Thestandard >
  method> > of just adding the prices means that if a stock starts
  theresultant> > composite chart gaps at that day due to the
  extra price of thenew > stock. I> > tried dividing by the
  number of stocks but the gap remains. I have > > also tried just
  using the change of price each day but it> does not> >
  produce a usable chart.> > Has anyone got any ideas that I could
  try.> > Ultimately I want to use it as a tool to determine strengths
  and> divergances> > within the watchlist of stocks, much as a
  sector index would be> used.> > TIA> >
  >  <<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading>>
  > <A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading>
  > > >  <<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia>>
  <A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustraliaSend
  group FAQ at:<A
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend
  SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A