RE: [amibroker] Re: Walk-Forward Out of Sample (OOS) Testing

No,
not all.  I have found plenty of trading systems over the year and my CTA
firm has a decent track record since 1985.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
What I
meant by "stuck in the mud" was that I haven't tried any other way of doing walk
forward testing.   There may be better ways, but I'm not aware of
any.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 2:30
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Walk-Forward Out of Sample (OOS)
  TestingChuck,By "Stuck in the mud" do you
  mean you have yet to find a system that is viable using this type of
  approach ?  Work I did some years ago seemed to suggest this but the
  engine I was using wasn't really powerful enough to thoroughly test this
  theory to a satisfactory conclusion.--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher" <chuck_rademacher@x>
  wrote:> I'll probably only confuse things, but I'll describe how my
  walk-forward> code works.   I would share the program
  with you, but it is some 2 million> lines of C++ and has nothing to
  do with AFL, AB, ABTool, etc.   I use this> approach only
  for futures markets, where I do have different system> parameters for
  each commodity.> > I WOULD NEVER DREAM OF USING DIFFERENT
  PARAMETERS FOR  STOCKS, EITHER UNIQUE> TO EACH STOCK OR UNIQUE
  TO DIFFERENT TIME PERIODS.> > In any event, I can tell my
  backtester a start point, an in-sample window> size and an
  out-of-sample window size.  I also tell it which of over 200>
  objective functions I want to use when making the decision as to
  which> parameter set to use for the next out-of-sample
  data.   An objective> function might be something as simple
  as KRatio, or Netprofit/Drawdown,> whatever.    The
  in-sample window is used for "learning" a parameter set and> then
  my software measures how well the system does out-of-sample.  I
  can> tell you now that more than 95% of the systems tested in this
  manner are> rejected at this stage.> > I cannot
  envisage another way to do walk-forward testing, but then I've
  been> stuck in the mud using this approach since
  1960.>   -----Original Message----->   From:
  Fred [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]>   Sent: Wednesday, June 18,
  2003 2:06 AM>   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Subject: [amibroker] Re:
  Walk-Forward Out of Sample (OOS) Testing> > >
  b,> >   Actually you bring up some interesting points
  one of which I hadn't>   initially thought of but of
  course that is why I was asking the>   questions I was
  i.e.> >   1.  Are we testing some optimizable
  system oriented parameters for>   some fixed user selectable
  lookback period or window which is either>   based on an
  anchored first data point or is a moving window as
  time>   goes along ... or ...>
  >   2.  Are we testing a static system for some
  optimizable lookback>   window ? ... or ...>
  >   3.  All of the above ? ... or ...>
  >   4.  Something else ?> >   I
  suspect it's #1 as I'm not sure optimizing the lookback period
  has>   merit ... or at least not more than once per full
  run i.e. we might>   want to see how changing the size of
  the lookback period or window>   size affects the results
  overall as we might want to see how using>   different
  lengths of out of smaple data affects the results before
  we>   reoptimize but I don't think having varying lookback
  periods or>   window sizes has merit, do you ?  This
  "feels" way to curve fit.> >   Fred>
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
  <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:>   > It's okay ... I think
  Mark thinks it's over my head ...>   >>
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "b519b" <b519b@xxxx>
  wrote:>   > > Fred,>   >
  >>   > > I think you and Mark have misunderstood
  each other over the use>   of>   >
  > the terms "segment" and "period". Like you, I first read these
  as>   > > synonyms, but after re-reading Mark's post,
  it appears they are>   > > completely
  distinct.>   > >>   > > Reading
  them as synonyms gives the following:>   > > Test 3
  time segments. Select the best period (=time segment)
  and>   > use>   > > the
  parameter setting from that segment. As you point out such
  an>   > > approach would
  problematic.>   > >>   > >
  Reading period and segment as being distinct gives:>   >
  > Test the 3 time segments. Select the best period
  (=parameter>   > > setting), ie, select the look-back
  period in the sample code>   which>   >
  > gives the best profit factor for all 3 of the time segments.
  Use>   > > this parameter (ie, look back "period")
  for time segment 4. And>   so>   >
  > on.>   > >>   > > I think
  Mark has the second approach in mind. But Mark can>
  correct>   > > me if I am wrong.>
  > >>   > > b> >
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  bugs@xxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to