[amibroker] programming 101

A few basic elements seem to crop up over and over again.  The problem is I
am a trader not a programmer, and I spend huge amounts of time spinning my
wheels trying to generate or adapt code to do fairly simple tasks.  Here
are a couple samples.

(1)  IF condition then a=b		// trying to use IIF , would that be: a =
IIF(condition, b, a);  ie: the true condition has a new value but ?? on the
value to be used for the false condition.

(2)  IF condition then a=c  	// Where the value for "a" needs to persist
until it is changed by the program.  Does that involve the use of
ValueWhen(condition, c);   and I would think that the condition needs to
change to a cross  function to pick up the first value where condition is
true.  Multi part question I guess, but the details are important to poor
programmers like myself.

(3)  How do I set up a counter in AFL to keep track of the number of
occurrences of some condition.
	IF condition then increment counter		// Again the value of the counter
needs to persist until it is used perhaps many bars later and then is
probably reset.

TIA
Sid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/GHeqlB/TM