RE: [amibroker] Help needed - Back test shows unbelivable results

<SPAN
class=050450521-12052003>Siva,
I hope I
understand this correctly.
<SPAN
class=050450521-12052003>
If you time
compress right to left:
<SPAN
class=050450521-12052003>
On Monday, you do
a backtest, you get certain results based on the data as of
Monday.
On Tuesday, the
bars are now different, based on different periods.  If you backtest again
based on Tuesday, would not the results be entirely different because all the
past bars have now changed?

<FONT face="Vladimir Script" color=#000080
size=5>Rick

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: siva_26sg
  [mailto:siva_26sg@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 12:04
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Help
  needed - Back test shows unbelivable
  resultsHelloI need help and any advice I can
  get on the following. I'm in a state of shock!!!Use of Synthetic
  bars (timeframe compression) in back testing and its validityJust
  to make sure what I mean by synthetic bars. I have written a routine that
  will compress the daily bars to any number of bars – example for weekly; I
  can compress it by 5 bars and for monthly 22 bars. The compression is done
  from right to left which is different from normal weekly and monthly
  compression, which is done on calendar day end of a week or month.
  Synthetic bar compression is dynamic and each day (new bar) on the right
  edge is used for re-computing. Example if today is Monday than the weekly
  (5 bar) compression will start from previous Tuesday and if today is
  Tuesday than the weekly start will be previous Wednesday…. and so on. You
  know what I mean.Questions I have is that, Is this a valid method
  of compression for dynamic time frame?Creating EMA of this compressed
  bar will provides dynamic weekly EMA, which can be used in a daily chart.
  Though there is a slight difference between true weekly EMA and this, is
  it a valid method for analysis? I have also noticed that this method has
  lesser lag and it is more responsive.Does this method of
  compression violate the rule that we should not look ahead for back
  testing?Will the dynamic nature of the compression invalidate back
  test result for historical data?The reason I'm asking these
  questions is that when I back tested this with a simple trading rule for
  entry and exit using a 22-day compression with 3 period EMA (this
  simulates 66 day EMA), I was getting results that I couldn't believe my
  eyes!!! I have tested with 400 counters over an average of 10 years of
  data and 395 came out with 0 losing trades and the remaining 5 with 2 to 3
  losing trades. Though the drawdown was sometimes high, the overall profits
  and winning trades are just out of this world.Since this to me
  seems too good to be true, I would appreciate your expert opinion and
  guidance.Thanks in advanceRegardsSivaSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.