RE: [amibroker] Re: Built-in DEMA questions

<A
href="">http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=DEMA

    Tomasz Janeczkotj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx2003-02-06
      13:51:31
    DEMA internally is implemented via
      EMA:Len=10;Graph0= 2 * EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len
      );// for comparison
onlyGraph1=DEMA(C,Len);

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma><FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff>d
  <FONT
  face=Tahoma><SPAN
  class=328261318-27042003>
  <FONT
  face=Tahoma><SPAN
  class=328261318-27042003> -----Original
  Message-----From: DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 2:12 PMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re: Built-in DEMA
  questionsTomasz,Is it possible to give me
  this reference for full source code of DEMA.TIADimitris
  Tsokakis--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko"
  <amibroker@xxxx> wrote:> Hello,> > I have
  posted full source code of DEMA.> It includes all inner workings so
  please refer there.> > Best regards,> Tomasz
  ----- >   From: Dimitris Tsokakis >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >   Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003
  2:14 PM>   Subject: [amibroker] Built-in DEMA
  questions> > >   Some things should be
  explained about DEMA and its expected behavior:>   Let us
  use a fast DEMA [green line, period=10] and a slow one [yellow line,
  period=10]>   A third, variable period DEMA [the black
  thicker line], uses the fast period and, suddenly, 200 bars ago, changes
  to slow.>   The result will immediately leave the green
  curve, but asymptotically touch the yellow one. >   It
  will not be a real 50-bar DEMA, even after 200 bars.>   Note
  that all this 200-bar period the variable DEMA stays higher than the slow
  one. [above gif]>   To answer my [obvious] questions, I
  search the available reference [instead of leaving my imagination to fly
  around].>   The explanatory note via >   <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/message/38844
  >   sends me to >   <A
  href="">http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=DEMA>
  where I read the comment> >   DEMA internally is
  implemented via EMA:>   Len=10;>   Graph0= 2
  * EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len );>   // for
  comparison only>   Graph1=DEMA(C,Len);>
  >   Some more explanations should be added
  because:>   a. The built-in DEMA begins from the first bar
  and the analytic EMA equivalent begins 400 bars later.
  >   How the built-in DEMA is defined for the first 400 bars ?
  >   [The question holds for IB and AA, see the simple
  exploration> >   Len=200;>   G0= 2 *
  EMA( C, len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len );>
  G1=DEMA(C,Len);>   Filter=1;>
  AddColumn(G0,"ANALYTIC DEMA");>
  AddColumn(G1,"DEMA");>
  AddColumn(Cum(1),"BARS",1.0);> >   and the att.
  gif]> >   b. Should we expect a 2*Len delayed response
  when variable periods is used ?>   c. My CSCO history is
  831 bars [Jan3, 2000 till now]. The >   Graph0= 2 * EMA( C,
  len ) - EMA( EMA( C, len ), Len );>   begins on Aug2,
  2001.>   c1.Can we speak for a proper function use back in
  the critical Oct2, 2001 CSCO low?>   The built-in DEMA is
  11.53 and the EMA equivalent is 9.08 !!!!!>   c2.After how
  many bars the two formulas are less than 1% diverging ?> >
  >   Built-in DEMA is, IMO, one of the most powerful AFL
  tools, its use in trading systems design gives excellent
  results>   and this is accurately translated to interesting
  profits. >   To avoid any misunderstanding [the recent winds
  are S to SW, not that healthy...]>   my questions do not
  search for built-in functions secrets, it would be useless to me.
  >   Just a better explanation to
  understand>   the expected DEMA behavior would encourage
  users/traders to step into this great function. >   5-10
  lines would be more than enough, no need for 1000+ pages.>
  Thank you in advance for any reply.>   Dimitris

  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor >

  >        >
  >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>   Send
  SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx>