[amibroker] AB's Next Step - I agree with Yuki

Yuki,

Like you, by far the most important new development for me would be
improvements to the backtester. You mention having more DD and
equity curves for a basket of stocks rather than just the worst one
or the most recently run one.

Although item I would like to see in AB is a backtester that can
test a ranking system for stocks. Conceptually this might be easier
to describe than for TJ to code, but here it is:

...your AFL code here...
RANK = Close/MA(Close,50);// A simple momentum rank to illustrate
PORTOFOLIO (10, RANK, Ascending);//10 is the max stocks at one time

AB could do this in a 2 pass approach:

Pass 1: looks at every stock one at a time and for each day puts its
ticker and RANK number in a top 10 list (a list for every data bar).
If the next stock covered has a better ranking than the lowest in
the top ten, the worst in the top ten is dropped and the next
stock's ticker and RANK value for that date is added.

Note; if the system has a market timing dimension, then there will
be data bars that have competely empty RANK lists (a stock only gets
added to the rank list if it qualifies as a "buy" from the AFL code
AND if the stock has one of the 10 best rank list for the day.

Pass 2: AB files the portfolio with 10 stocks and when exits signals
come (perhaps stop loss or profit target), a new one is added using
the RANK list for the bar (or next bar, depending on settings).

Pass 2 could also create a composite equity curve which could be
displayed as a graph and which could also be used to calculate the
portfolio DD that you wish to see.

I am sure TJ will likely find a way to do it than is better than I
describe (and has a lot more features).

Yuki, like you I look forward with great anticipation to the day AB
gets more backtesting features for portfolio trading.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/GHeqlB/TM