Re: [amibroker] Re: Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)

Fred,

I'll have another go at presenting the opposite
opinion about compounding when we run backtester.
1. If you think that you are "modelling" the future
as closely as possible when you run the backtester on your system, then you
should probably use compounding. As you say, that's the way most of us trade in
real life. In your case with a system which returns over 100% per annum with 2
or 3% drawdown you can turn $100,000 into $102,000,000 in 10 years. Problem, for
me (I should be so lucky) is that in year 9 you are plonking down $51,000,000 on
your trade.

2. If you think that you are trying to compare
various systems to find the one that gives a nice consistent return year after
year and trade after trade, then I think backtesting without compounding gives a
fairer comparison. Of course, even using your system we only turn the initial
$100,000 into a miserable $1,100,000 over the ten year period....

Look at the effect of a blockbuster final year in
each case. Assume that 10th year is 1999 and your system returns 300% in that
year. Now compounding gives us a final figure of $204,000,000 whilst the
non-compounding system only returns $1,300,000. Do you really want to include a
year where you made a nice $153,000,000 profit in your future plans? Do you
expect to replicate that?

Final thing is - I "know" I won't reproduce the
gains in example 1 but I might just manage to beat the gains in example 2 (IF I
had your system....).

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE