[amibroker] Parameter selection, MCS (for Thomas)

Sorry,
Thomas, I must have not been very clear in my explanation.

<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
Here
are my steps for parameter selection (right or wrong):
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>1.   Optimize over the entire universe of
stocks that traded between 1992 and today (13,500 stocks after filtering for
minimum price/volume).  This process is looking for ONE parameter set
across all stocks.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>2.   Check for outliers (huge profits or
losses).   This is more important for long-term systems that might
have bought in 1995 and sold and the peak in 2000.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>3.   Remove the stocks with
the largest outlier trades.   In the example I gave, trading
$10,000, I removed the stocks where single trades generated more than (say)
$200,000.   AOL, MSFT and
a few others generated more than $1 million in profits so I don't want those
trades in my parameter selection.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003><SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>4.   Re-optimize to get "best" parameter set
over all remaining stocks.    I don't really want to get into
defining "best" here.

<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>5.   I might repeat steps 3 and
4 if I get a new set of large outliers.<FONT
face=Arial><SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>6.   Put the removed stocks back into
the watchlist.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>7.   Run Scan to see equity curve with or
without compounding.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>8.   When it comes to live trading, my
systems are looking at all stocks.   Removing stocks from the universe
was only done to achieve (IMO) better parameter selection.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
While
I'm at it, I may as well tell you the steps I take to decide if the system is
even worth doing the steps delineated above.   Here is what I do to
see if the system has any merit in the first place:
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>1.  Optimize the system over data between 1994 and
2001 (approximately) to find the "best" parameter set.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>2.  Using that parameter set, run the same system
over data between 1992 and 1993 as well as over the period 2002 and
2003.   If the performance looks "almost" as good over those periods
(per trade, per annum, drawdown, etc.), then the system (IMO) is worth more
effort.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>3.  If the out-of-sample performance is not good
(definition?), I add it to my scrap heap of thousands of other rejected
systems.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
You
then asked about MCS.   I use Monte Carlo Simulation to see what
happens when I trade a random selection of my buy/short signals.   You
may recall an equity curve that I posted not too long ago.   From
memory, that curve reflected the results of over 40,000 trades.   The
initial capital for each trade was $10,000.   I wouldn't want to trade
less than $10,000, particularly when I only like to trade round lots (multiple
of 100 shares).    To take all of the signals generated by that
system would require about $10 million in capital, based on $10,000 initial
capital per trade.   Probably beyond the scope of most individual
traders.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
So...
how do I reduce the number of signals so that I can afford to take every
trade.   While we patiently wait for TJ to add some portfolio
management functionality to AB, I export the trades from AB to
TradeSim.   TradeSim has full MCS capability.
Someone in this group posted references to some other software that does
MCS.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
In any
event, I can tell TradeSim that I only have $300,000 (or any other amount) and
it will RANDOMLY select signals that it will trade.  I can tell TradeSim to
do 15,000 random selections and it will show me the average, best and worst case
equity curves for each of those 15,000 runs.   What you are looking
for is a fairly consistent performance, regardless of the list of signals
accepted by TradeSim.   I want to make sure you understand the process
here.   TradeSim will make a purely random selecction of buy/short
signals in each run, investing up to my limit of $300,000    IBM,
MSFT, AOL, etc. might be in run number one.   Any or all of those
stocks might be in run two.   You can tell TradeSim whether or not to
compound your profits (yet another discussion).
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
The
next step, of course, is to rank all signals by something (another discussion)
and take the signals in some sort of predetermined sequence until your system
runs out of cash.   This functionality is high on the wish list for
TradeSim and somewhere on TJ's wish list for AB.    Once we have
that functionality, we can see if our "smart" method of selecting which signals
to take has any value over a purely random selection.   If not... the
method for selection must not be very smart.
<SPAN
class=718131400-19042003>
I hope
that I have answered your questions and concerns.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: tchan95014
  [mailto:tchan95014@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 8:04
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Compounding, etc. (for Fred)Chuck,The
  following is my understanding from reading your posts: you test your
  system on a large universe, when you find a goog parameter set, you then
  run on the same universe to pick up the candidate to trade.My
  question:1) Since you do not cut off those losers in historical test from
  the universe (You mentioned that a stock's characteristics can change over
  time), do you still trade a certain stock when you system picks it up
  but you know from you historical test this particular candidate lost
  all the time? (Of course, you also mention you never check what stocks
  are traded by your system, but I just want to know your thought)2)
  You also mention the use of MCS, could you please elaborate on how you use
  MCS to help you on system development or
  whatever?ThanksThomas--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher" <chuck_rademacher@x>
  wrote:> No rebuke from me.   You are 100% correct that one
  would tend to either take> on more positions or increase the size
  of positions using profits.   Either> of these could be
  called "compounding".> > I just don't think that compounding has
  any place in parameter selection.> I've already given dozens of
  examples but I'll do one more.> > Let's say that  I had a
  moving average crossover system (which I wouldn't> use).
  Let's also assume that we are investing $10,000 per trade
  initially.> I optimize for one set of parameters to use on a basket
  of stocks.   One set> of parameters generates a trade for
  AOL that results in a $1.5 million> profit for the $10,000
  investment.   If I then re-invest that $1.5 million> (in
  backtesting), I could end up with some huge returns on the next
  trade,> based on my original portfolio investment
  size.    This huge profit and> resultant compounding
  (in backtesting) could distort the fact that those> very same
  parameters generated far less in profits for the other 99 stocks.>
  In my opinion, I would rather use parameters that missed the AOL trade
  and> did better on the other 99 stocks.   Keeping AOL in the
  basket (for> backtesting) and compounding the profits from that one
  trade simply doesn't> fit in how I select parameters.>
  > Once I'm finished selecting my parameters, I will use Scan over all
  100> stocks in basket.  I will, at this point, turn on
  compounding.  If the> parameters I've selected without the
  benefit of AOL and without the benefit> of compounding happen to
  pick up the AOL trade, it's a bonus.   I'd rather> miss
  the AOL trade (in backtesting) and do well on the rest of the stocks
  in> the basket.   In my opinion, this approach has a much
  better chance of being> profitable in the future.   A
  fantastic-looking equity curve based on the> benefit of hindsight
  does little to satisfy my investors.>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]>   Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 6:16
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)>
  > >   Chuck,> >   Your "go" at
  it is clearly a better description then mine ...> >
  I'm still waiting for your rebuke of my description of
  compounding>   whether it is in terms of scaling up bet size
  or increasing the>   number of securities potentially
  invested in to be virtually the same>   in terms of how
  that affects system design, testing and optimization>
  in that ones aim is still to yield consistant returns and
  drawdowns>   on a percentage basis.>
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher">   <chuck_rademacher@x>
  wrote:>   > MessageI'll have a go at defining pairs
  trading for you.>   >>   > To me,
  there are two different kinds of pairs trading
  (fundamental>   and>   >
  technical).>   >>   > Before I get
  into that, however, I'll start by telling you that>
  pairs>   > trading is NOTHING MORE than buying one stock
  and shorting another.>   > Usually, the dollars
  invested would be the same for each stock.>
  >>   > Fundamental pairs trading would be based on YOUR
  INTERPRETATION of>   the>   >
  fundamentals for those two companies.   If you spent the time
  to>   review the>   > annual reports for
  Ford and General Motors, for instance, you might>
  decide>   > that FUNDAMENTALLY Ford should outperform
  General Motors over the>   next six>
  > months.  So, you would buy Ford and short General
  Motors.   Your>   trade, in>
  > theory, should not be affected by any move in the entire market
  or>   even the>   > automotive
  sector.   At the end of the six-month period you
  would>   liquidate>   > both
  positions.>   >>   > Technical pairs
  trading is a little more complex.   Again, you>
  would be>   > buying one stock and shorting
  another.   Most pairs traders might>   only
  trade>   > a "pair" that were in the same sector, but that
  isn't necessarily a>   > requirement.   The
  idea here is that you find two stocks whose>   average
  daily>   > returns move very much in unison.  I won't
  get into the math for>   determining>   >
  this, but I'm sure you get the picture.    Let's say that
  you>   discover that>   > the daily
  returns for Ford and General Motors almost aways move>
  together.>   > You also observe that if the returns move
  apart.... they tend to>   come back>   >
  together.    You also observe the maximum amount that they
  varied>   over some>   > period of
  time.   When you see them move apart by that
  amount>   again, you>   > simply short
  the one with the higher returns and buy the one with>
  the lower>   > returns.  Finally, you just wait for
  the returns to come back>   together and>
  > liquidate both positions.     Again, the theory is
  that any major>   move in>   > the
  overall market has no effect on your net position.>
  >>   > I might add that many, if not most, of the
  professional fund>   managers using>   >
  pairs trading haven't done very well over the last
  quarter,>   generating>   > negative
  returns for their investors.    I've been pairs
  trading>   for two>   > years, netting
  just over one percent per month for investors in that>
  > particular fund.    I can also tell you that, in my
  opinion, any>   attempt at>   >
  fundamental pairs trading is doomed for failure.>
  VOTE>   AGAIN, PLEASE>
  >>   >>   >   Could you
  define "pairs trading" please?>   >>