RE: [amibroker] Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)

Thanks
Chuck!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Tonetti's was a little terse..  8-)
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
You
mentioned that you work with hedge funds: Could pairs trading be
categorized as a "hedge" strategy?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck Rademacher
  [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003
  5:57 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)
  I'll
  have a go at defining pairs trading for you.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  me, there are two different kinds of pairs trading (fundamental and
  technical).
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Before I get into that, however, I'll start by telling you that pairs
  trading is NOTHING MORE than buying one stock and shorting another.
  Usually, the dollars invested would be the same for each
  stock.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Fundamental pairs trading would be based on YOUR INTERPRETATION of the
  fundamentals for those two companies.   If you spent the time to
  review the annual reports for Ford and General Motors, for instance, you might
  decide that FUNDAMENTALLY Ford should outperform General Motors over the next
  six months.  So, you would buy Ford and short General Motors.
  Your trade, in theory, should not be affected by any move in the entire market
  or even the automotive sector.   At the end of the six-month period
  you would liquidate both positions.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Technical pairs trading is a little more complex.   Again,
  you would be buying one stock and shorting another.   Most
  pairs traders might only trade a "pair" that were in the same sector, but that
  isn't necessarily a requirement.   The idea here is that you find
  two stocks whose average daily returns move very much in
  unison.  I won't get into the math for determining this, but I'm sure you
  get the picture.    Let's say that you discover that
  the daily returns for Ford and General Motors almost aways move
  together.  You also observe that if the returns move apart.... they
  tend to come back together.    You also observe the maximum
  amount that they varied over some period of time.   When you see
  them move apart by that amount again, you simply short the one with the higher
  returns and buy the one with the lower returns.  Finally, you just wait
  for the returns to come back together and liquidate both
  positions.     Again, the theory is that any major move in
  the overall market has no effect on your net position.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  might add that many, if not most, of the professional fund managers using
  pairs trading haven't done very well over the last quarter, generating
  negative returns for their investors.    I've been pairs
  trading for two years, netting just over one percent per month for investors
  in that particular fund.    I can also tell you that, in my
  opinion, any attempt at fundamental pairs trading is doomed for
  failure.
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: dingo
    [mailto:dingo@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 3:13
    PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
    [amibroker] Re: Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN,
    PLEASE
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Could you define "pairs trading" please?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Thx!

      face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
      [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 3:08
      PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
      Re: Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN,
      PLEASEYes. I know. See my previous post, but for
      example I don't want to have to write my own Stdev routine for
      variable periods where it would require a For loop or a script to get
      it done.  As I've said before, IMHO the best thing about AB today
      is it's speed and the LAST thing I want to do is slow it down w/For
      loops if I don't have to. The best thing about the future of AB is of
      course the support & potential enhancements and I'll be happy to
      take the latter in whatever order Tomasz thinks best with my own
      personal preference at the moment being the fixing of position size
      transactions being automatically limited to total available cash
      followed by some other aspects of portfolio trading i.e. pairs and
      ranking etc.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS"
      <TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:> Fred,> take a look
      at> > per=10+Cum(1)%20;//variable period from 10 to
      29>
      StochKa=MA(100*(C-LLV(L,per))/(HHV(H,per)-LLV(L,per)),3);>
      StochDa=MA(MA(100*(C-LLV(L,per))/(HHV(H,per)-LLV(L,per)),3),3);>
      Plot(StochDa,"",1,1);Plot(StochD(),"",4,8);> > for
      example.> DT> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
      <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> > Tomasz,> > >
      > I agree completely that these are two different areas ... to me
      > they > > are both important with (1) being higher
      priority then (2) ...> > > > With regards to (1) and
      more specifically those functions like ATR > > that require
      multiple arrays ... I understand and in the case of > ATR >
      > I'm not sure I care if this is even dealt with as again it's
      simple > > enough like my example w/MACD to create ones own
      ATR with a Foreign > > symbol using straight AFL.
      clearly valid to calculate > it > > as > >
      > > 100 * (C - LLV(C, n)) / (HHV(C, n) - LLV(C, n)) >
      > > > as opposed to using highs and lows.  However here
      again I'm not > sure > > I care as it's easy enough to do
      these in straight AFL with n being > > time variant since
      HHV and LLV are already have the capability of > > being time
      variant.> > > > > > --- In
      amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" >
      <amibroker@xxxx> > > wrote:> > >
      Hello,> > > > > > As I mentioned in the other
      post of mine there are > > > TWO INDEPENDENT areas:>
      functions like RSI> > > 2. Make second argument (period)
      accept array too (variable > period).> > > >
      > > Somehow people mix those 2 areas.> > > >
      > > Fred speaks that he wants all functions to cover at
      least> > > area (1).> > > > > > The
      posts of Mark refer to area (2).> > > > > > Let
      me show you example:> > > > > > RSI( period ) -
      this function has no input data array (uses CLOSE > >
      array> > > indirectly) and accepts static period> >
      input data > array > > but accepts> > > only
      static period> > > > > > (2) RSIa( ARRAY,
      dynamic_period ) -  this function accepts input > >
      data array > > > and accepts both static and dynamic_period.
      > > > (NOTE: Current version of AB does NOT support this
      RSIa 'flavour' > > yet)> > > > > >
      > > > As to (1): implementation of this is relatively
      easy.> > > There is one caveat however: many analytical
      functions> > > in fact use MORE than one input array. For
      example Stochastics use> > > Close, Open and High arrays
      as inputs.> > > ATR too needs OHLC, not only close.>
      this kind of > > operation. Although > > >
      theoretically it is possible to rewrite every function to accept
      > > such 'variable> > > periods' the practice shows
      that transformations that are > recurrent > > in
      nature> > > (exponential averages for example) are extremely
      'sensitive' if > > parameter(s)> > > change to
      fast. A kind of "frequency modulation" effect appears > > that
      may produce> > > distortions therefore one should be careful
      working with adaptive > > systems> > > using
      recurrency-based transformations.> > > > > >
      Best regards,> > > Tomasz Janeczko> > >
      amibroker.com> > > ----- Original Message ----- > >
      > From: <uenal.mutlu@xxxx>> > > To:
      <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > > Sent: Friday, April
      18, 2003 5:28 PM> > > Subject: Re: [amibroker] Dynamic
      Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN, > > PLEASE> > >
      > >   LINEARREG, LINREGSLOPE, TSF > > > >
      should be removed from your list. Please> > > > check the
      remaining too... Test it in AFL editor (it will > inform >
      > you> > > > via a small hint window about the params
      after you type the > > opening brace).> > > >
      Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 5:21 PM> > > > Subject: Re:
      [amibroker] Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN, > >
      PLEASE> > > > > > > > > > >
      > > Hi mark, > > > > > can you clarify BBANDBOT
      and BBANDTOP; > > > > > IMHO they both already do
      accept user defined arguments> > > > > for all the 3
      possible parameters to them. > > > > > UM> >

      ----- Original Message ----- > > > > > From: "markf2"
      <feierstein@xxxx>> > > > > To:
      <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > > > > Sent:
      Friday, April 18, 2003 4:03 PM> > > > > Subject:
      [amibroker] Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN, > >
      PLEASE> > > > > > > > > > >
      LLV, > HHVBars, > > LLVBars,> > > > >
      > DEMA, TEMA, MA, WMA, REF, and SUM already work with
      dynamic> > > > > > parameters. When I updated
      the poll to reflect this, ALL > > votes were> > >
      > > > lost so please vote again if you're still interested,
      LOL.> > > > > > > > > > > > <A
      href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/surveys?id=1071266>
      the confusion.  The fact that the above > > indicators
      and> > > > > > functions accept dynamic parameters
      was reflected in > release > > notes but> >
      poll.  > > The fact> > > > > >
      that so many of you voted for them shows you didn't know > >
      either, and> > > > > > I've asked Tomasz to include
      this information in the next> > > > > >
      documentation update.> > > > > > > > >
      > > > Mark> > > > > > > > >
      > > > "No good deed goes unpunished."> > > > >
      > --Steve Karnish> > > > > > > >

      Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> > > > Send SUGGESTIONS to
      suggest@xxxx> > > >
      is subject to > > <A