RE: [amibroker] FW: [aaft_ta] Re: TradingRecipes

For
what it is worth, I use fixed bet size for all backtesting purposes.
I coudn't imagine backtesting/optimizing using any other approach.  I even
go a step further if I'm doing any optimizing.   I recently posted an
equity curve showing something like $80 million in profit.   Within
that $80 million, the top 100 stocks (out of 13,500) generated $20 million in
profits.  AOL, by itself, generated $1.5 million in profits.  In each
case, the original trade was only $10,000.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
As I
said, I go a step further than just using a fixed bet size.  After my first
pass at optimizing, I remove the top performing 100 stocks.  I then
re-optimize without those stocks.  Granted, I could end up with some new
"top" stocks.  However, my objective is to remove the extremely large
winners so that the profits from those stocks don't cause me to select
parameters on the edge of the parameter space.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
don't bother removing the worst performers as the largest loss might be
something like $16,000 (even though the original trade was only
$10,000).   This can happen if a short trade goes against
you.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
As I
said... for what it's worth...
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bob Jagow
  [mailto:bjagow@xxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 2:21
  AMTo: AmibrokerSubject: [amibroker] FW: [aaft_ta] Re:
  TradingRecipes
  Re the
  "portfolio level testing" magic
  bullet.
  <FONT
  color=#000080>
  <FONT
color=#000080>Bob
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Palmer Wright
  [mailto:palmerw@xxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 8:27
  PMTo: aaft_ta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [aaft_ta] Fwd:
  Re: Available Portfolio testing programs for TS2000i
  Since Michael forwarded the two messages (see
  below), he added four additional ones. The issue about whether a "basket
  system" like Aberration is worth trading I will not discuss here (I still
  trade it). The other main issue is about the effect of compounding when
  testing with TR (Trading Recipes), and I comment here on that.

  Traders buy TR because it can test portfolios
  of systems and markets using position sizing. A position-sizing strategy such
  as fixed-fractional money management brings two advantages: it normalizes
  markets (eg., calculating many contracts for corn, but few for natural gas),
  and limits entry risk for each position to a fixed- fraction of current
  equity--thus preventing overtrading. If you do not use TR, I do not know
  how you can get the large returns that compounding multiple markets can
  bring.

  Leslie Walko points to the potential danger of
  curve fitting caused by compounding. I agree, and have been concerned for
  years about how one market in a portfolio (commodity X) by being dramatically
  profitable in a single year can misleadingly bias the results of the whole
  portfolio.

  During a multi-year test in TR, starting equity
  is low, perhaps $100,000, but compounding raises equity to many million in
  later years. The one-year outperformance of commodity X cand produce two kinds
  of curve-fitting bias: early-years bias and end-years bias. Mark Johnson's
  message describes the first, where X gives "a big turbocharged boost" to the
  portfolio's equity, which then gives a head-start boost to the number of
  trades in all the commodities traded. The second occurs when X's monster
  trades occur in the final years of the simulated time period when the large
  number of contracts makes X's profit far larger than if its big year came
  early. Here the profits contributed by X dwarf what they were
  in the first case.

  As the message from M points out, we can avoid
  such biases by normalizing with a fixed-dollar bet size in testing to remove
  the galloping equity effect. I proposed this method in 1999, and still use it
  to compare with the compounded performance. I confess, however, that my
  testing has failed to find as much performance bias as I suspected I would
  find. The method is most important when selecting markets for a
  portfolio.

  Palmer Wright
  <BLOCKQUOTE