[amibroker] TESTING THE UNIVERSE ?

Hi everyone,

Please bear with me on this subject because
it's one which I have not yet found the answer
and one which I am not an expert. This question is based
on my current assumptions and is open to comment,
correction, or debate.

(This has been discussed before but, as an onlooker,
I did not see a solution.)

Here it is:

What is the point of testing the whole universe
of stocks with a trading system if it is generally
understood that..
A) Some stocks are just not "system" tradeable
B) Some systems are best suited to certain markets.
C) Some stocks have unique "personalities" which work
   with some trading techniques but not others.

It seems to me that a test of the whole universe will give
a squewed result because the performance of the system
will be lowered by the "untradeables" and the ones with
the "wrong personality".

I have written filters which divide up the universe into two
personality groups.(Good ones on the left...bad ones on the right)
This has helped to narrow down the basket a little.
But maybe there's another reason to test the whole universe
that I m not aware of. Any comments on this ? (for or against)

PS: I think the focus should be on devising ways to define
    and catagorize "personalities", then go exploit them.
    (Definately easier said than done) ;-(

Cheers,
Gosub283

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/GHeqlB/TM