RE: [amibroker] Re: Explain output please for clarification

<SPAN
class=096582905-24032003>Anthony,
Cum is
still there, barindex is just (apparently) faster for use in indicators. In most
of my use of cum(1) I simply use it to allow me to count bars or mark a point in
time. If the bar number is 1500 or 1501 is usually not an issue as long as the
count is consistent. If it is important to you then cum(1) counts the very first
bar as 1, barindex counts the very first bar as Zero so if you want the actual
bar count use cum(1).........
 Jayson
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Anthony Faragasso
[mailto:ajf1111@xxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 7:11
PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
Re: Explain output please for clarificationJayson,
The reason that I have posted these examples is because with the
earlierversions of AB, ( before Barindex() was introduced ) ,when we wanted
to knowthe bar number of some value...it was written as follows:
y=ValueWhen( H==HHV(H,260), Cum(1) ); So, why has it now
changed....Therefore, rendering any caluculations usingthe above formula
type, USELESS!!?? I am trying to understand.... If I now want to
know the Bar Number....what is the proper formula ???? Anthony
-------Original Message------- From:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Date: Sunday, March 23, 2003 17:36:16 To:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Explain output please
for clarification Anthony, Cum(1) is one ahead because it starts
counting with 1. BarIndex startscounting with 0. Try.........
x=ValueWhen( H==HHV(H,260), BarIndex() ); y=ValueWhen(
H==HHV(H,260), Ref(Cum(1),-1) ); Filter=1; AddColumn(x,"x",1);
AddColumn(y,"y",1); Jayson -----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Faragasso [mailto:ajf1111@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, March
23, 2003 1:21 PM To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [amibroker]
Re: Explain output please for clarification x=ValueWhen(
H==HHV(H,260), BarIndex() ); y=ValueWhen( H==HHV(H,260), Cum(1) );
Filter=1; AddColumn(x,"x",1); AddColumn(y,"y",1);
-------Original Message------- From:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Date: Sunday, March 23, 2003 12:42:09 To:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [amibroker] Re: Explain output please for
clarification > BARINDEX > - get zero-based bar number
Ok, you can start counting from 1 or from 0 and "zero-based" means that
barindex() starts counting from 0. > returns zero-based bar
number -  the same as Cum(1)-1 but it is cum(1) instead starts
counting from 1. So barindex() gives 0 for the first bar and cum(1) gives 1
for the first bar. As clearly stated in the manual barindex() == cum(1) - 1.
Clear enough? Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Send SUGGESTIONS
to suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ----------------------------------------- Post
group FAQ at: <A
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.