Re: [amibroker] looking into the future

Hi Bob,

BJ> You can always algebraically calculate a 'target' price at which
BJ> indicators that depend only on a single* price array will cross,
BJ> but not for, e.g., Stochastic, which depends on H,L,C. That,
BJ> unfortunately rules out scCMF.

Thanks for that information.  Very interesting, this.  And a bit
frustrating at times.  Yesterday we had a day that started out weak,
and ended strong.  Yesterday morning, my brokerage trend indicator
was bouncing back and forth, threatening to change to negative.  (One
of the three composite stocks was already negative, one too far to go
negative probably, and the other near the line.)

So when I woke up this morning and saw the carnage in New York, I
expected the bottom to fall out, and I expected I'd get some intraday
short signals. However, either the strong close yesterday (a tick off
the high, but up only marginally from Friday) or something else in
the look back period apparently set that indicator up so that there
was no way it was going negative today, even though it was still
hovering near the line.  (In fact, the indictor turned *up* for this
stock, from 3.45 yesterday to 6.94 today, even as price fell all day,
finishing down 4 percent. Volume was strong but not anything really
special.)

As prices continued to drop all day, I kept running the scan, and
kept disbelieving my eyes, particularly in light of yesterday's
flirtation with negative on this trend indicator.  Finally in the
middle of the pm session, I put very absurdly low values into the low
and close for that one stock in question, just to see if I could move
the indicator lower.  But I still could not bring that scCMF below
zero today. Really a surprise since it was the same stock that was
flirting with the line yesterday morning.

Oh well.  The purpose of the filter is to keep me from trading all
the time anyway.  <lol>  It did it's job today, sadly.  Of course, if
they are too reactive they are no good either.  By and large, this
works pretty nicely, so I'll just take a little bad with the good.
Better a sin of omission than a sin of commission.  ^^_^^

Yuki