 Jayson
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst <phsst@xxxxxxxxx>
[mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 11:38
PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
cannot buy on open> No, a trailing stop loss order
AUTOMATICALLY adjust the stop priceby a given percent or value example 5% or
.50 cents. This is differentfrom entering a stop order and making changes
your self......>OK... exception noted.So what do they NOW
call the process of manually adjusting the stopprice in order to obtain more
granular individual trading rulepreferences?Just
curious.Phsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jayson"
<jcasavant@xxxx> wrote:> No, a trailing stop loss order
AUTOMATICALLY adjust the stop price by a> given percent or value example
5% or .50 cents. This is different from> entering a stop order and making
changes your self......> > Jayson> -----Original
Message-----> From: Phsst <phsst@xxxx> [mailto:phsst@xxxx]>
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 10:21 PM> To:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [amibroker] Re: cannot buy on
open> > > Guess I'm confused.> > One of the
followup msgs to this thread stated that Scottrade did not> support
trailing stop loss orders.> > Trailing stop loss orders are
nothing more than STOP orders with a> price specified that will trigger
if the security trades against the> position and through the STOP price.
It is referred to as a 'Trailing'> Stop Loss order when you peridically
change the specified Stop price> to 'Trail' the price action of the stock
price to either limit losses> or protect gains.> >
Backtesting software simulates the manual adjustments that must be> made
regurlarly to Stop prices for trailing stop loss purposes.> > Is
this one of those 'teach an old dog new tricks' thingy's?> >
Phsst> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard Harper"
<rdharper@xxxx>wrote:> > Phsst;> >> >
Here is the appropriate help section from the live screen:> > What is
a stop or a stop-limit?> >> > Stop Order is a buy or sell
order which automatically converts to a> market order and will buy and
sell securities at the current MARKET> price once the order is triggered
by the stop price.  For OTC orders,> a stop order becomes a market
order if either scenario takes place.> The stock is quoted (bid for sell
stops and ask for buy stops) at your> stop price or actually trades at or
through the stop price.  For> listed stocks a customer is entitled
to the next sale on the primary> market when the price trades at the stop
price, providing there are> enough shares available at that
price.> > A stop order may be a day order or a good til cancel
order.  A limit> order is not the same type of order as a stop
order.  Buy stop orders> are placed above the current offering price
and sell stop orders are> placed below the current bid price.  A
stop order gives you the> opportunity to protect a profit or limit a loss
on a security already> purchased.  Be aware that significant, short
term market movements may> trigger your stop order, creating an
undesired/unwanted buy or sell.> Also, depending on market conditions and
the fact that your order is a> market order, once triggered, there is no
guarantee of what price it> will be executed at and can be several points
away from the stop price.> >> > Stop Limit Order is an order
to buy or sell a security at a> specified price or better (stop limit
price), but only after a given> stop price has been reached or
passed.  It is a combination of a stop> order and a limit
order.  A stop limit order may be a day order or a> good til cancel
order.  Unlike a stop order which converts to a market> order once
order is triggered by the stop price, a stop limit order> would only be
executed at the limit price or better.  As with any> order limited
by price, the risk is that you have the opportunity that> your order
would not be executed if the market price does not reach> the
limit.> >> > Stop Orders and Stop Limit Orders are handled
differently by the> exchanges and are considered "not held" orders.
No priority is given> to these orders and you may not be executed, even
if the stock is> trading at your price.> >> >
***NOTE:  Stop orders must be placed at least .25 of a point below>
the current bid or above the current ask.  We have established this>
guideline due to the possibility of the order being invalid if the>
market price moves below the designated sell stop price or above the> buy
stop price.> >> >   ----- Original Message
-----> >   From: Phsst <phsst@xxxx>>
>   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >   Sent:
Sunday, February 23, 2003 5:16 PM> >   Subject: [amibroker]
Re: cannot buy on open> >> >> >
<<Scottrade supports all but Mkt on Close, End of Week, End
ofMonth.> >   Nor trailing stops, the thing I'd like to
see added next.  Theothers> >   are
supported.>>> >> >   I looked at the demo
Scottrade online trade entry screen. It allows> >   you to
enter a Sell... Stop... GTC... order on an existing Long>
>   position, or a Buy to Cover... Stop... GTC order on an
existingShort> >   position. What the demo trade entry
screen did not show was how to> >   specify a Stop Price at
which to execute the order.> >> >   If a price
specifier is available under the live trading system,then>
>   that is all you would need to implement Stop Loss orders, and
then> >   make them trailing by manually adjusting the Stop
Price nightly or> >   periodically.> >>
>   Hard to believe that Scottrade does not allow you to specify a
Stop> >   Price in the order entry screen.>
Richard> >   >   ----- Original Message
-----> >   >   From: Phsst
<phsst@xxxx>> >   >   To:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >   >   Sent:
Sunday, February 23, 2003 9:08 AM> >   >
Subject: [amibroker] Re: cannot buy on open> >
>> >   >> >   >
<<Would you mind sharing the name of the broker you use to> place
these> >   >   orders?> >
>   I do not think I can do this with my current
broker,Scottrade.>>> >   >>
>   >   Almost all brokers support the orders I use...
Datek, RJT,ETrade,> >   >   AmeriTrade,
etc. The Order parameters from Ameritrade include:> >
>> >   >   Position - Buy, Sell, Sell Short,
Cover> >   >   Terms    -
Market, Limit, Stop, Stop Limit> >   >   Good
For - Day, GTC, Mkt on Close, End of Week, End of Month,>

Good ThroughDate> >   >   Special  - All
or None, Do not Reduce, Fill or Kill,> >   >>
>   >   I rarely trade during the day, preferring to
make my trading> decisions> >   >
using EOD data and placing those orders online that night for> next
day> >   >   automatic execution.>
>   >> >   >   Each night I
review all open positions and manually place (or> adjust)>
>   >   trailing stop loss orders using 'Sell' /
'Stop' orders. Iuse GTC> >   >   orders for
stop loss purposes so that if I happen to be away> for a day>
>   >   or more, then I have absolute protection even
though I may not> have> >   >
'tweaked' the trailing limit price.> >   >>
>   >   Nothing fancy.> >
>> >   >   But I want my backtesting
software to be able to simulate all> of the> >
>   available EOD Order stradegies from within code or AFL
without> having> >   >   to change
parameter settings from a Settings window every time> I want>
>   >   to test a new combination.>
>   >> >   >   Phsst>
>   >> >   >> >
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rik Rasmussen">
>   <hrasmussen@xxxx> wrote:> >
>   > Phsst,> >   >
>> >   >   > Would you mind sharing the
name of the broker you use to> place these> >
>   orders?> >   >   > I do not
think I can do this with my current broker,Scottrade.>
>   >   >> >   >
> Rik Rasmussen> >   >   >>
>   >   >> >   >
12:00 AM> >   >   > > To:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >   >   > >
>   > >> >   >   >
>> >   >   > > Yuki,>
>   >   > >> >
>   > > I've read the previous posts on this subject and feel
the> need to> >   >   > >
contribute to your side of the issue:> >   >
bulletproof on the technical indicators and> triggers>
>   >   > > needed to initiate backtest
trades...> >   >   > >>
>   >   > > HOWEVER, I find that the ENTRY /
EXIT stradegies of ABare not> >   >   >
> intuitive, and that a good bit of 'tweaking' and'testing' is>
>   >   > > necessary to even attempt to come
close to real-world> orders for> >   >
> > entry/exit positions of securities.> >
>   > >> >   >   > >
For example, for years I have traded certain strategies as>
Short Limit order @ todays (EOD) close or> >   "BETTER
@> >   >   > > OPEN".>
>   >   > >> >
>   > > No StopLoss entered on day of order entry
execution.> >   >   > >>
>   >   > > After Mkt closes on day of order
execution (and each day> >   >   > >
thereafter)... place trailing stop loss order .10cents above>
>   or below> >   >   > >
todays high or low (only if new stop moves in direction of>
>   position).> >   >   >
>> >   >   > > The above has been a
successful strategy with my own> backtesting> >
>   > > software and actual trading discipline.>
>   >   > >> >
>   > > I cannot figure out how to accomplish the above in
AB.> >   >   > >> >
>   > > And if folks are tolerant, I think I can come up with
some> other> >   >   > >
situations that have eluded me in past AB backtests thatI can>
>   >   > > accomplish with my own
software.> >   >   > >>
>   >   > > And for those who wonder why I fool
around with AB... TJ has> >   done an>
>   >   > > unbelievable job on the many
technical indicators that are> >   needed to>
>   >   > > setup entry and exit signals that my
own software is not> >   capable of.>
>   >   > >> >
>   > > I tend to still rely upon my own backtesting
(called> 'SIM') for> >   >   > >
verification of real trading stradegies, but only because I>
>   haven't> >   >   > >
figured out the more esoteric issues of AB Order/Entryissues.>
>   >   > >> >
>   > > Regards,> >   >
>   >> >   >> >
>         Yahoo! Groups
Sponsor> >

ADVERTISEMENT> >   >> >
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >   >   (Web page: <A
>   >> >   >   Check group FAQ
at:> >   <A
>   >> >   >   Your use of
Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of> Service.>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor>

ADVERTISEMENT> >> >> >> >>
>   Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >   (Web page: <A
>> >   Check group FAQ at:> <A
>> >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of Service.> > >
Yahoo! Groups
Sponsor>
ADVERTISEMENT> > > > > Post AmiQuote-related
messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Web page: <A
> Check group FAQ at:> <A
Service.Post
group FAQ at: <A