[amibroker] Re: cannot buy on open

Yuki,

I've read the previous posts on this subject and feel the need to
contribute to your side of the issue:

AB is almost bulletproof on the technical indicators and triggers
needed to initiate backtest trades...

HOWEVER, I find that the ENTRY / EXIT stradegies of AB are not
intuitive, and that a good bit of 'tweaking' and 'testing' is
necessary to even attempt to come close to real-world orders for
entry/exit positions of securities.

For example, for years I have traded certain strategies as follows:

After hours Buy or Short Limit order @ todays (EOD) close or "BETTER @
OPEN".

No StopLoss entered on day of order entry execution.

After Mkt closes on day of order execution (and each day
thereafter)... place trailing stop loss order .10cents above or below
todays high or low (only if new stop moves in direction of position).

The above has been a successful strategy with my own backtesting
software and actual trading discipline.

I cannot figure out how to accomplish the above in AB.

And if folks are tolerant, I think I can come up with some other
situations that have eluded me in past AB backtests that I can
accomplish with my own software.

And for those who wonder why I fool around with AB... TJ has done an
unbelievable job on the many technical indicators that are needed to
setup entry and exit signals that my own software is not capable of.

I tend to still rely upon my own backtesting (called 'SIM') for
verification of real trading stradegies, but only because I haven't
figured out the more esoteric issues of AB Order/Entry issues.

Regards,

Phsst

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga <yukitaga@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> Sunday, February 23, 2003, 3:23:32 PM, you wrote:
>
> WP> There is an Option in Backtester Settings named "Allow same bar
> WP> exit (Single bar trade", ensure that is checked.
>
> WP> This works for me with a backtest but not a scan.
> WP> Post again if you still have problems.
>
> I see.  Okay, now some simple code works correctly, but not all. For
> example, here is another stupid variation, but a variation that I
> cannot get to work properly, although I think it should:
>
> //an outside day with a down close, buying on the next open if the
> //open is lower than the previous day's close
>
> //Buystop = Open < Ref(C,-1);
>
> Buy = Ref(H,-1) > Ref(H,-2) AND Ref(L,-1) < Ref(L,-2) AND Ref(C,-1)
< Ref(L,-1) AND Open < Ref(C,-1);