[amibroker] Re: The transcendental use of Data: An application

Jayson,

A question NOT a criticism regarding this ...

Were you trading in the 90's ?  and if so how long past 3/x/2000
and/or what level of DD's did it take for you to realize that the
long oriented systems based on relatively recent bullish trends were
coming apart at the seams ?

Maybe a more generic way to ask this question for any who cares to
respond is ... From your own perspectives, how do you know when your
system has died ?

Fred

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jayson" <jcasavant@xxxx> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> All true. But as you said "Defining trend is not an easy task". I
have spent
> a great deal of time over the years examining and applying many
types of
> trend identification devices with mixed, at best, results. I am not
a true
> system trader, to me recent history holds the most importance.
Perhaps this
> is because I have yet to define a credible system that performs
equally well
> over a large data base and long time frame. :))  On the other hand
I have
> found several systems that perform well "Now" and now is when I am
actually
> trading.
>
> Regards,
> Jayson

defining "trend" is not
> an easy task, if you can accomplish the task of identifying trend
it will
> prevent you from becoming involved in contra-trend trading .  In
theory, a
> robust system will handle both pre-2000 (bull) and post-2000 (bear)
data and
> show reasonable profits throughout the data base.  Systems that
don't
> exhibit this trait are certainly suspect.  With that said, nothing
is more
> important than recent history.
>
> Take care,
>
> Steve
> Cedar Creek Trading, CTA

I have
> applied 6-8 simple systems test the theory. I posted one such
system over
> the week end. I have found (no surprise) that when applied to the
last 3
> years the results will vary greatly when testing using Shorts,
Longs, or

<TSOKAKIS@xxxx>"
>   <TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:
>   > Fred,
>   > thank you for the interesting question.
>   > As I have already replied, the market will not change by an
>   overnight
>   > switch.
>   > And, there is a more important question : Is there ANY reason
for
>   the
>   > market to change ?
>   > 99 period was there, it is a dream [or a nightmare...] and
almost
>   > impossible to be repeated.
>   > I try with various methods to immitate the market behavior and
>   apply
>   > it for the near future.
>   > If the market profile would change, MANY Breath Indicators will
>   give
>   > CLEAR warnings and I will check very carefully to confirm them.
>   > The most recent example was last October, when my RSIt reacted
at
>   > relatively high levels [this is the way the market will leave
>   behind
>   > its bearish mood]
>   > The last month, instead of a confirmation, I have to dissappoint
>   you,
>   > nothing hapened, may be the next time !!
>   > So, instead of being affraid of an [unrealistic, for me] bullish
>   > expansion, I prefer to FOLLOW the market without prejudice.
>   > The market is bearish and will remain bearish for a long time.
We
> [...]
>   > <TSOKAKIS@xxxx>
>   > > wrote:
>   > > > A.
>   > > > I trade BEAS.
>   > > > Its performance with the smoothed D-ratio5 is poor. 3/21
>   winning
>   > > combinations when D1=Optimize("D1",42,30,50,1); and the best
>   gives
>   > > > some +115% in 3 years. Nothing important for 57 dangerous
>   trades.
>   > > > But, BEAS may give great results, much better than +1000%
with
>   > > lot of systems.
>   > > > B.
>   > > > I do not trade TMPW and I know almost nothing about it.
>   > > > For me, TMPW is a 5-D vector [O, H, L, C, V] in the wild
>   > > StockMarket vector space.
>   > > > TMPW is in the top10 list for D-ratio5 trading over the
whole
>   > N100
>   > > market, according to my earlier post.
>   > > > Its D-ratio5 curve gives "good" signals for the majority of
the
>   > > stocks.
>   > > > For D1=42, for example, it sends BEAS profits to >+1000%
and it
>   > is
>   > > not coincidental, since the whole market profits are +450%
with
>   > > > >75% profitable stocks.[It is not a holy grail, it is a real
>   > > fighter, you should take all the risk to trade it, but 75% is
>   > > respectable percentage]
>   > > > C.
>   > > > I "borrowed" TMPW clear Buy signal on Valentines day, Feb14
>   > Buy
>   > > BEAS [and CSCO] on the next bar Open.
>   > > > The Open was cool, the day was great, some cables traffic 15
>   min
>   > > before the end [life is not as easy as backtesting] plus my
broker
>   > > > advise to sell tomorrow, but the sell order was an order, it
>   was
>   > a
>   > > clear take-the-money-and-run session, the system will make its
>   own
>   > > profits,
>   > > > statistics is an additive science [linear or not].
>   > > > CSCO will pay  the expenses, BEAS will pay the research, I
>   should
>   > > learn something for TMPW, perhaps it is a great company.
>   > > > D.
>   > > > I will refill my hot coffee and try to understand what I was
>   > doing
>   > > yesterday.
>   > > > Dimitris Tsokakis
>   > > > PS. In the case you are interested, optimize your favorite
>   stocks
>   > > or the whole market with
>   > > > /*The transcendental use of Data for D-ratio5 indicator
>   > > > by D. Tsokakis, Feb 2003
>   > > > Optimize the "current" stock or the whole
group/sector/market
>   > from
> [...]
(NUM==99,"XRAY","YHOO"))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>   > > ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))));
>   > > >
>   > > > H=Foreign(N,"H");L=Foreign(N,"L");
>   > > > Dratio=1000*(H-L)/(H+L);RRR=DEMA(Dratio,5);RRRR=DEMA
(RRR,10);
>   > > > D2=D1;
>   > > > F1=RRRR>=D2;F2=RRRR<=D1;
>   > > > Sell=F2;Buy=F1;Buy=ExRem(Buy,Sell);Sell=ExRem(Sell,Buy);
>   > > > Short=Sell;Cover=Buy;Short=ExRem(Short,Cover);Cover=ExRem
>   > > (Cover,Short);
>   > > >
>   > > > I think I will repeat the experiment...

>   Check group FAQ at:

Service.

>   Check group FAQ at:

Service.