[amibroker] Re: Fw: Optimization quiz

Fred,
The "quiz" was not restricted to %Net Profit.
If, for you, the optimal is the highest MAR, then, optimize a stock
and find the best solution.
Is there a MAR higher than the optimal you have already found ?
This was the question, it sounds absurd somehow, but there is an
interesting method under construction.
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred <fctonetti@xxxx>"
<fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> DT,
>
> Optimal means different things to different people.
>
> To me it means highest MAR = CAR / MDD.
>
> However, it also means the ability to perform in good markets as
well
> as bad.  If you notice the MDD's happen during the largest bear
> market rally that occured since 1/2000 and they are sizable.  I
> suggest you widen the view to include from 8/98 forward and you'll
> see why IMHO there is no point in optimizing a system over the last
3
> years which is virtually all bear market with some intervening
> rallies.  If the current market suddenly became like that of the
late
> nineties it's the out of sample performance prior to 1/2000 that
you
> could expect and you'd be out of money in a hurry, wouldn't you ?
>
> Fred

If the market changes to pre-2000 conditions, it will not happen in
one night.
A more than 3-year bearish environment needs more than 6 months to
change.
The majority of my indicators run approximately at 30 to 40 bar
smoothing and will "see" such a change, if ever exists.
But, the fear of such a change is not a serious reason not to study
and apply techniques that express the recent situation.
We may live in a bearish/congestive environment for 3 or 5 more
semesters and IT IS A LONG TIME. It is better to act
than waiting a repetition of pre-2000 days.
On the other side, a lot of all-time indicators are already designed,
as you probably suppose...
Dimitris
<TSOKAKIS@xxxx>