Re: [amibroker] ATR-Based Position Size (was NDX/QQQ)

<BLOCKQUOTE

    The
    issue is not with the direction of prices after your entry, but with the
    level of your risk. With the same stop level, your loose twice as much if
    your position size is twice as large. The mathematical expectency of your
    position is the same whatever the position size, but the risk is not. On the
    long run, your average exposition will be OK, but you must be aware that you
    handle more risk in certain positions than with others. And with volatility
    explosion, you will handle your biggest positions when the risk of your stop
    being gaped down is also the highest. The best counsel I would give you is
    to actually trade it with real money. You'll make your own experiences ...
    as I did my painfull ones ;-).
    Jerome: Take
    another look at the example code I gave, repeated here:
    PositionSize = -1 *
    BuyPrice/(2*ATR(15));
    I am risking 1% of
    current equity. If my current equity is $100,000, my risk is $1000. I define
    risk as the amount of money I'm willing to lose if I'm wrong on the trade,
    not the amount of money I'm allocating for the trade. I set my max stoploss
    at 2*ATR below the BuyPrice (using the ApplyStop function, code not shown).
    So, you see, it doesn't matter what the ATR is or the price per share. I
    lose $1000, period, if the price declines to the max stoploss. Example: if
    the buyprice is $50 and the ATR is 1.5, my investment is 1000*50/3 or
    $16,667, which is 333 shares at $50/share. If the price declines to 47, I'm
    out with a $1000 loss (333*3), which is my pre-defined risk level. If the
    ATR instead were 1 (lower volatility) while the price is 50, then my outlay
    to make the trade is now 1000*50/2 or $25,000, which is 500 shares. However,
    if the price declines to 48 (my 2ATR risk level), I still lose $1000
    (2*500). I think perhaps you might be equating risk with amount invested (or
    no. of shares bought). The ATR determines how much to buy. If the ATR is
    high, you buy less (you don't want volatility to kill you) and your stop is
    farther away. If the ATR is low, you buy more and set a closer stop. In
    either case, your risk is still fixed at $1000. So, you see, my stop level
    varies with ATR. The risk is always at $1000, but depending on the ATR, the
    number of points decline in the stock varies with ATR. That's my point.

    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    If
    you are a mono-product trader, as I am, the concept is much less attractive.
    I prefer a fixed percentage model in that case, with
    the percentage amount chosen from equity simulations so that
    my objectives in term of return and drawdowns are met.
    I, too, am a monotrader
    (stocks). What I described above is, indeed, a fixed percentage model. It's
    just that my position size (i.e., amount of capital outlay for the trade) is
    determined by volatility, which I think is essential for keeping you in the
    game and maximizing your profit potential. Volatility determines how much to
    buy, i.e., how much of your equity to allocate to the trade, keeping the
    risk constant at whatever your tolerance is (1%, 2%, or whatever you find
    from your equity simulations).
    Thanks for the
    interesting discussion.
    AV