VBscript questions

Since I am coming to AB after using EasyLanguage and I find myself
wanting to write most of my code in VBscript so that I can use the
familiar IF...THEN FOR...NEXT type of coding structures. However, I
am having a bit of a hard time understanding how to activate the
buy/sell/short/cover variables from within the script. Can anyone
help? The buy/sell/short/cover vars are not arrays like the
close/high/open/low are right? So I don't need parentheses as in AFL
("Close()"), right?

Why doesn't the following work? I find the ExRem function a bit hard
to use right, so this is my VBscript approach:

If condition1 AND Direction <> 1 then
AFL("Buy") = False
AFL("Cover") = False
AFL("Sell") = True