Using OBV...

I have attached my first (lame) attempt at applying OBV in a system.
It's a simple MA + crossover strategy. I'm not really pleased with it
because it tends to just following the direction on the way up and down
and generates FAR too many trades for my tastes. I would like to see
clustering of trades at clear volume inflections and way fewer signals.

How does one use OBV in general?

-- John

--

John T. Nelson
Trader | Dreams Of Empire

// Test the OBV indicator as a system...

MaxGraph = 4;

Graph0Style = 1;
Graph1Style = 1;
Graph2Style = 1;
Graph3Style = 1;

Graph0Color = 1;
Graph1Color = 1;
Graph2Color = 1;
Graph3Color = 5;

// Construct the signal line...

PER1 = 5;
PER1 = Optimize("OBV1 Periods",PER1,1,40,1);
PER2 = 2;
PER2 = Optimize("OBV2 Periods",PER2,1,40,1);

MA1 = MA(OBV(), PER1);
MA2 = MA(OBV(), PER2);

OBVUp = Cross( MA1, OBV());
OBVDwn = Cross( OBV(), MA2);

// Signals...

Buy = OBVUp;
Sell = OBVDwn;

Short = Sell;
Cover = Buy;

Graph0 = OBV();
Graph1 = MA1;
Graph2 = MA2;

Title =Name() + " -OBV Test: " +" Red Line " + WriteVal ( Graph0 );