Re: Tharp's Expectancy Calculation

Hello Jerome,

This was a test just on one stock(MSFT). I'm still not seeing this
clearly. My overall system expectancy is $937 by taking my net
profit and dividing it by the # of trades(31). I am risking 1% of my
equity as you can see in the code below -
Capital=100000;
risk=.01*Capital;
shares=risk/Max(2*ATR(10),2*ATR(3) );
PositionSize=shares*Ep;

Total profits on winning trades(13) = 44,366
Total losses on losing trades(18) = 15,322

>From the statistics printout my Avg Win/Avg Loss = 3.86
So Avg Win X Pct. Win - Avg. Loss X Pct. Loss = 1.04

Yet it seems when I try to eliminate the position sizing effect to
get down to a per share basis, it seems to give me a negative
expectancy. It just seems like I should setup my probability matrix
and leave my gains & losses as is.

Any more thoughts on this?

Rob

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Silvarius" <silvarius@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello Rob,
>
> The method to divide your results by the number of shares is the
right one
> only if you test a system on a single security. If you test it on
multiple
> securities, you must make it on a basis that is commun to every
securities
> (money, percentage, indices etc ...).
>
> Best regards, Jerome ULRICH

Service.