Re: [amibroker] Trends, random series

<BLOCKQUOTE

----- Original Message -----
<DIV
>From:
Herman vanden
Bergen
To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxx
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 2:51
PM
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Trends, random
series

Interesting
topic, thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts.
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
Pseudo random
series are fine for testing indicators but are useless to test trading
systems. The reason is that the market is not random. This brings me to the
point I want to make. What is missing <SPAN
class=880411218-20062002>on this list, or at least
I haven't seen it mentioned too often, is "basic research".
AmiBroker is a splendid research tools and I expect it will eventually be
sold in volume (or site licenses) to universities as a tool for students to do
research projects - the students are going to have a ball and some will become
millionaires, and not because they got their degree
;-)
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
My approach is
to research one little piece at a time, lots of basic stuff, I hardly ever use
popular indicators, I chart each individual characteristic. When I have a
bunch of "FACTS" I start putting them together to make a system. Like
Steve K. said there are indeed may stocks that have unique patterns that
for some weird reason may last for ten years or more. It is great fun to
discover price, volume, duration, stops, volatility, etc. relationships and
when charting them see beautiful peaks that can not be argued with.

<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2><FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
KISSis my
approach. I posted a challenge sometime ago for anybody to name a TAbook
that was instrumental in the design of a profitable system. I always see
quotes of books but never see anything about how they helped design
a good system (100%+ann.). I have lots of books but they are gathering
dust just like some of the expensive programs I thought would help me
design a system. The junk we buy when we start this hobby
:-(
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
Look
into half.com.  Great way to get rid of the dust collectors
;-)
<FONT color=#800000
size=2>
Oh
well,
takecare and
good luck,
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>Herman.
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>

<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.