Re: [amibroker] Re: Modified RSI

Dimitri,

What you describe is not what I meant.. The rsi formula

rsi = 100-(100/(1+(up/down)).

is the fundamental problem.

As up tends to zero, up/down tends to zero and rsi tends to 0
as down tends to zero, up/down tends to infinity and rsi tends to 1.

The characteristic of these reciprocal type curves is long, unresponsive tails that lead to the rsi being unresponsive as the
numerator or denominator tends to zero. All the sensitivity is at the 50% mark but you are trying to make decisions in the rapidly
declining sensitivty region.

I suggest the nicety of limit bands be discarded entirely and the rsi be structered as something else entirely, so that:

it has no limits,
crosses zero
and can be equally positive and negative.

For example, and I make this up in my head without checking first,

modrsi = up(last 4)/down (last15) - down(last4)/up(last15)

or closer to the original which I think will tone it down some. (if not reverse the order - put the last14/last3)

modrsi = 100-(100/(1+(up/down)(last3)/(up/down)(last14))).

I am suggesting to be radical and not simply rearrage or blend outcomes from various established indicators, but break them open
completely an re-cast their principles.