Re: import to a watchlist

If the stocks came from different groups and you wish to preserve
those assignments then my description is not the way to do this. I
keep all my stocks in Group 0 so this works well for me in getting
stocks into watch lists - I create watchlists of several hundred each
for further refining...The program does not remember the original
group assignments. You need to create a seperate data file with this
information if you wish to restore to multiple groups.

--- In amibroker@xxxx, AR.Holzwarth@xxxx wrote:
> from your post:
> "13. Decide whether or not you wish for the group assignments to
> remain or not. If not, use Organize Assignments to move them back
> their original groups."
>

> Hi Brett,
> does this procedure work even if the stocks in the newly assigned
group came
> initially from a variety of different groups? Will they all be
moved back to
> their original groups if I use "Copy" in Organize Assignments. How
does each
> stock "know" which group it came from initially?
> Incidentally, the "Copy" switch in Organize Assignements in my case
really
> does a MOVE and not a COPY, i.e. the stocks in the original group
etc. are
> removed. Is that a bug in the program?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alf

Click
> > on File, Save Workspace As, and then pick on a new spot on your
hard
> > drive or CD/R or CD/RW. If you do not laod all quotes first, your
> > backup data base will contain only those quotes loaded thus far.
> >
> > Create a new file in the Formats folder below Amibroker that
defines
> > the format of the data you wish to import. Here's the file I
created
> > to import a ticker list from Zacks website.
> >
> > # Format definition file created for modifying stocks - put into
> > group for Zacks
> > # by Brett Forrester 6-18-2001
> > $FORMAT Ticker, group
> > $NOQUOTES 1
> > $OVERWRITE 1
> > $SKIPLINES 0
> > $SEPARATOR ,
> > $CONT 1
> > $AUTOADD 0
> > $DEBUG 1
> >
> > (Note: Be careful of the word wrap going on above...)
> >
> > Then, edit the import.types file in the same folder to include the
> > new file you just created. Here's the line I added for import of
> > Zacks list:
> >
> > Zacks Group (*.csv)|*.csv|TC2000 into Zacks.format
> >
> > The most important part thus far is setting up the $FORMAT line.
You
> > must know the format of the data you are importing. For me, I cut
> > and paste a list from Zacks that contains 3 columns of
information.
> > It contains the Ticker symbol, the Company Name and something
else of
> > no consequence in the last column.
> >
> > To get the dat from Zacks into Amibroker workspace group of my
choice
> > I do the following:
> >
> > 1. Copy data onto windows clipboard.
> > 2. Start Excel or any other spreadsheet program.
> > 3. Paste data into blank worksheet.
> > 4. Strip out all unneeded lines and columns.
> > 5. What I'm left with is one column of tickers (that are actually
> > still hyperlinks).
> > 6. Next, I add a column that contains the group number I wish to
> > populate. Fill the column with this number.
> > 7. Save the file with a .csv extension.
> > 8. In Amibroker, do an ASCII import of the file using the format
> > type you created. This will move the tickers from old group(s) to
> > the new froup number you assigned in the .csv file. It is
important
> > to note that your workspace will not show that it has changed at
this
> > point even though the group assignments were changed.
> > 9. Start Automatic Analysis.
> > 10. Clear the window and input the following two lines:
> >
> > numcolumns=1;
> > filter=1;
> >
> > 11. Click Use Filter. Define the filter to be the group you
moved
> > the tickers to. Set the range to be the last day of data in the
> > workspace. Click on Explore.
> > 12. Right click on the output data and save the results to the
Watch
> > List of your choice.
> > 13. Decide whether or not you wish for the group assignments to
> > remain or not. If not, use Organize Assignments to move them
back to
> > their original groups.
> > 14. Double check that your workspace seems fine and then Save
your
> > workspace - this will now save the assignments for you. If it
does
> > not seem fine, exit the program without saving your work.
> >
> > This routine works well for me - I do this every Saturay morning
and
> > it takes not too much time. The longest part is loading the
> > remaining quotes and then then subequent save. It's also when
I've