Re: import to a watchlist

Hello
This may help reduce your need for Excel if your data already has
spaces(default), commas, tabs, or semicolons etc. in it. The
information I have here can be had from the help button or users
guide (the same), under "reference guide", "ASCII importer reference".
This is an example of one of the ways I put my data file together for
import to AMI.

Ticker,LastDate,LastOpen,LastHigh,LastLow,LastClose,LastVolume,Name
AAPL,20010716,24.880,25.100,23.910,23.960,49762.000,Apple Computer
ABGX,20010716,33.380,33.500,27.350,27.530,30990.000,Abgenix Inc.
ACTM,20010716,9.140,9.770,8.610,8.847,3432.000,ACT Manufacturing Inc.

You see that the first line in the file is the title of each column,
so $SKIPLINES 1 is needed. If your data does not have the title line
you may want $SKIPLINES 0 .
If there is some other information column you do not want in your
import, you should change your $FORMAT line column identifier to the
word "Skip" .
If all of your tickers are of one group, one market, or one industry
then $GROUP 0 ( 0 THROUGH 255 ), same for market, or industry as
shown.
Don't add the group, market, or industry lines etc. in the format
definition file if that is not where you want the tickers to end up.
This example Format definition file would skip the first line in the
data file and would write new ticker (if one did not already
exist),and name skipping all comma seperated values in between.
It would put a copy of the ticker in each of market 2 (nasd), group
2, and industry 1 (advertising in mine) . It would overwrite all
information of stocks being added that already exist regarding the
number assignments of Group,Market,Industry,and Fullname fields.
It would also write all errors to the " import.log " file

# Format definition file
$FORMAT Ticker, Skip, Skip, Skip, Skip, Skip, Skip, Fullname
$SKIPLINES 1
$SEPARATOR ,
$OVERWRITE 1
$MARKET 2
$GROUP 2
$INDUSTRY 1
$AUTOADD 1
$DEBUG 1

This example Format definition file would skip the first line in the
data file ( $SKIPLINES 1 ) and would write all ( $FORMAT ) of the
comma seperated values( $SEPARATOR , ) , new ticker (if one did not
already exist) ( $AUTOADD 1 ) ,date,O,H,L,C,V,AND Fullname, to my
NASD market group ( $MARKET 2 ) .
The newly added stocks are switched to continuous quotation mode (
$CONT 1 ) , It would overwrite ( $OVERWRITE 1 ) all information of
stocks being added that already exist regarding the number
assignments of the Market field, and the volume is multiplied by 100
( $VOLFACTOR 100 ) . Then the error file is written to " import.log"
( $DEBUG 1 ) .
The Default $VOLFACTOR is 1 , so my volume in my data file above had
to be adjusted.

# Format definition file
$FORMAT Ticker, Date_YMD, Open, High, Low, Close, Volume, Fullname
$SKIPLINES 1
$SEPARATOR ,
$CONT 1
$VOLFACTOR 100
$OVERWRITE 1
$MARKET 2
$AUTOADD 1
$DEBUG 1

As for moving tickers from groups to watch lists why not just
use "organize assignments" under the "stocks" dropdown list, the
newer version includes a watch list selection.

I Hope this helps
Gook Luck
Brian

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Warren Benson" <b8956@xxxx> wrote:
> I downloades and installed the latest version 3.65.1
> I don't see how to import a list of stocks from an
> ASCII file into am AB watchlist.
> Help, please.
>
> Thanks, Warren
> (You can call me stupid if you want. I have been called worse!)

AB