Re: [amibroker] Fibonacci retracements

Dimitris:

Yes, you can do simple Fibonacci
retracements, but as you show it is awkward.  The discussion with Tomasz
involved his suggestion of using a trendline tool plus a Study function, which
will not work.  The key question revolves around the ability
of the functions in Wealth-Lab, Ensign, etc. that give the user real
control for drawing purposes.  Such control permits drawing of
fan lines of various types, vertical lines for time periods, Fibonacci
arcs, complex Fibonacci retracement studies, etc.  And without an
Input function, preferably one based on point and click, you will constantly be
rewriting the code, especially if you want to look at pivots from a number of
time periods, and not just the last one.  And how does one handle
retracements where the "change" required for Peak and Trough are not
known?  Have to evaluate that manually for each situation?  Clumsy at
best.  Metastock's programming infrastructure, which is not great, gets one
beyond that stage in large part because of its Input function.  As a
result, Fibonacci retracement studies for 2 or 3 pivots can be done relatively
quickly by simply inputing the pivots.  Etc., etc.

It seems to me that either the user should
be given a good set of canned line study tools, which is what
most programs do, or good tools for generating them.  If you have
neither than there is a whole range of studies that are out of
reach.

As for your comments about your indicator,
I do not follow where you are going.  My comments pertained to optimization
and arbitrary measures.  I do not see how your comments relate to
mine.  My "to what end" was with respect to the indicator discussion and
scan speed as it relates to optimization runs, rather than database
manipulation, which is not a factor in my trading.  Please reread my note,
as I think we are talking past each other.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE