From: Mark Allen mpa@xxxx
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:07:24 +1000
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Sharing

OK, I figure that as a participant in this user-group it is time to make my
thoughts known, as simple as they may be.

Firstly, I undoubtedly fit into the saddest sub-group of this user group, in
that I am both a novice at Share Trading and Investment as well as at
Programming and Mathematical techniques. This almost guarantees my
participation as being the uncomfortable one of something resembling a
"leech", since I stand to benefit by the skills and generosity of others in
this group more knowledgable than I, while being able to contribute at this
stage little more than my heartfelt appreciation. However, I didn't come
down with the last rain fall, and understand perfectly all the recent
outpourings regarding intellectual copyright, unrewarded work et al.

In my readings and participations over the past 18 months it has come to my
attention that the Share Trading industry is an interesting one to say the
least. On the one hand there appears no shortage of individuals motivated by
nothing short of unbridled and barely disguised personal greed, while on the
other, there is also the participation of some far more highly motivated,
intelligent and humanistic individuals, most striking for their complete
contrast to the former group of participants.

What has struck me most about this user-group in recent months, as
membership has appeared to build significantly, is that (apart from it's
being hosted by a fellow unusual in the degree of displayed intelligence
without snobbery, who is both socially adept while able to produce a
seemingly amazing amount of high quality, time consuming application
programming and documentation) is the overall quality of it's active
participants, who appear to belong quite firmly in the second group
mentioned above.

By "quality", I am not referring to the degree of Trading and/or Programming
skills evident (of which there is also much quality evident), but more the
underlying sense of human intelligence with a genuine care of others. Since
the one errant posting recently by a certain individual, the resulting
thread regarding the dissemination of ideas and techniques has been
inspiring, given the scope of the ramifications covered. I find it hard
these days to write long letters, and appreciate the time those who have
written have taken.

As far as the technicalities of sharing AFL code and systems is concerned, I
can only defer to those in a position to donate and share. All I can say is
that anything shared is greatly appreciated in my quest to learn as much as
I can about Share Trading specifically, and Investment in general.

I also know that no programmed technique for stock selection is going to
prepare me for making the right decisions when it comes to placing one's
hard earned money on the line, or protecting it from the ravages of this
wild beast so disarmingly called a Stock Market. With this in mind, I
believe any distribution of trading systems through the AmiBroker user-group
must, by necessity, be accompanied by an unambiguous disclaimer to this
effect. That is, not just "no liability assumed etc etc..." but also "No
programmed trading system can assume responsibility for the placement of buy
and sell orders and the overall management of risk and capital...these are
skills that each trader learns by looking with concentrated honesty at their
own motivations and behaviours under given circumstances...". Something
along those lines anyway.

Now if I had more time, I'd edit this letter severely since it is poorly
written in it's current form, but I hope you can bear with me. In the
meantime, please know that I very much appreciate the quality of the company
I am in.

Regards,

Mark

http://www.mail2web.com/ .