>From:
Dr. S.
Nathan Berger
To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxx
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 8:09
AM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Sharing
Dear Hal,I've read your letter a number of times
before responding. It takes a whileto wrap your mind around what you have
posted. Your letter  is so full ofwisdom, pain, and reality- thekind
no "newbie" could possibly know. Youmust experience it in reality- itis
not something you can download. Isuppose one cannot learn what you have
learned without paying the price,the "tuition", for acquiring such
knowledge.Like you, exploring different investment vehicles, buying
differentstocks, contracts,and commodities, working out various
investment strategies  has, over theyears, cost me  untold sums
in losses, in order to get to where I am now.And I suppose the only reason
I consider myself "successful" (speaking nowonly relative to financial
matters), is because I have some money in thebank which makes me realize
that overall, I have won more battles than Ihave lost.In short, I
understand "where you are coming from". But I have a problemwith one
especially important aspect of your thoughts:I ask myself, "Where
would I be now if others were not willing to shareknowledge with me?"
Without meaning to preach, where would many of us be ifnot for professors
and teachers who willingly gave up what they hadacquired through failure,
misfortune and diligence?Would the world be better  off
if  Galileo, Hypocrites, Newton, Pasteur,and countless others had
kept to themselves what they knew?"? Or Bollinger,or Pring,  Elder,
Larry Williams, or George Lane (Stochastic oscillator)?I agree with
those who think  no man enriches himself (or herself)
withoutenriching others first. To your point: I run a stable of
around 50 stocks. These are stocks whichwork reasonably well within the
systems I have developed. But these are thesame stocks that many others
are watching, with their own systems,different from mine. When enoughof
us feel the stock is going up, we buy.But the signals we get to do soare
coming from a myriad of different sources.Perhaps it is naïve of me,
but I do not think that having posted "my"little AFL (Elder's work) to
this forum has cost me anything financially.Chances are that whomeverof
you out there who are trading the exact samesystem as "mine" are not
trading the exact same stocks. Through the urgings and suggestions of
contributors to this forum, I havevisited websites and backtested systems
I would never have encountered wereit not for the willingness to share
knowledge. I plan to visit those listedin your own letter. And, in truth,
a number of forum participants  havewritten me with suggestions of
how I could modify my own little program inorder to secure a better
trading result.Indeed, all of this would be entirely moot were itnot
for tomasz and histireless willingness to expose all of us to what he
knows, what he does. Ican't even write my own name in AFL. What couldI
possibly do without thisfantastic program he has written and shared so
completely? And how muchless would I be able to use his program, savefor
the willingness of otherforum contributors to patiently bring me along and
up to speed in an areawhere I am so totally inept?Thus I offer to
you my consolation over the pain and the price you havepaid, and ask you
wouldn't it have been better if you had had a mentor whocould possibly
have spared you what you went through to get to where youare now?
There is absolutely NO need for you to feel compelled to do so, but if
youchoose to share, I think you will find the rewards will be out of
allproportion than if you choose not to. I hope you will, because it
isobvious you have learned much and have much to contribute. But I
willunderstand and completely support your decision if you do
not.With the very highest regard, and best wishes,Nate
> For someone who has just
entered this field of investing, there is so much>to learn, that to
provide an automatic trip to the peak of someone else's>financial
career results in a great LACK of appreciation of what the>experienced
person had to go through in order to make the profits that one>could
with the help of this group. > > My own experience has been
costly. Most likely I'm a pretty stupid guy>'cause I've done some
awfully dumb things in my investing career since the>mid '70's. I've
never had a mentor during this time and therefore>experienced the
tragedy of defeat as well as the few strikes of lightening>that each
small profit seemed to be.> Your
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.