RE: [amibroker] Porting AmiBroker to Linux and/or BeOS

In case my opinion means anything (as I'm still unregistered) I'll say that
I agree with the above.

I'll add that it is also my opinion that while there is a core of investers
that are prepared to fiddle with software (eg, program, write scripts and
Excel macros etc) and computer systems for the purpose of analyzing trading
data, the target market with the most potential is a very similar one to
that currently using PC/Windows and Mac systems, because of their need to
buy integrated systems and applications with professional product support
and service. In this, I am referring to professionals that buy the Office,
DTP and graphics applications that are guaranteed to provide a certain level
of reliable, commercial level, capability.

I believe that the average investor with funds to commit to his/her goals
would prefer to buy the same kind of software tools to manage their trading.
As far as this is concerned I remain convinced that AmiBroker is really too
cheap, and that there is quite a possibility that market perception may well
be that "it can't be THAT good at THAT price", when the competition starts
at several hundreds of dollars and goes all the way to thousands.

I suspect that the best way to move AmiBroker forward (increase user base,
increase income to programmer, increase development potential) is to do what
most other trading application developers are doing...aligning their product
with related products like data vendors, brokers etc. And increase the price
to a more "professional" value. If this idea does not appeal, then I suspect
a somewhat less predictable stream of registrations by more cash-strapped
would-be traders is the most likely alternative.

Having said all that, I do believe there is a significant number of
professional computer users who WOULD switch to Linux when it is as easily
adopted as the average Mac or PC is (meaning scope of available products,
integration and compatibility, and support in a commercial environment). I
certainly will as soon as it is truly viable for my specific purposes.
Therefore, I believe Linux has the potential to become a significant market.
The issue is probably one of timing.

Regards,

Mark