RE: [amibroker] Using categories

> Could anyone explain how best to use markets/groups/sector/industries
> in Amibroker? (with reference to the ASX). What's the difference
> between a sector and an industry?

AmiBroker 3.30 has an example broker.sectors and broker.industries files
included that show proposed categories (also attached to this e-mail)
The difference between a sector and an industry is that industries
"belong" to sectors, for example: "Air Courier", "Airline", "Railroads", "Trucking"
industries belong to "Transportation" sector .

Markets are intended to group the stocks quoted on single exchange (if you follow
multiple exchanges), but keep in mind that composite information (number of advancing,
declining, unchanged stocks) are managed on market basis so you may want to
divide stocks quoted on single exchange into several "markets" if you want to have more
omposites.

Assignmets to groups are left completely to the user invention. You may for example
have a group for "Blue chips" or "Most active" stocks.

> My interest in categories is for calculation of Relative Strength. I
> want to set up Amibroker so that I can compare performance of a stock
> against the relevant market index using Relative Strength.
>
> I am confused as to how I could do this as there seems to be a lot of
> places that you tell Amibroker which index to use for the RS of a
> particular stock in the Stock|Categories menu, eg:
> 1. under markets
> 2. under groups
> 3. under industries
> Which assignment will take precedence?
The precedence of RS base settings is:
1. group
2. industry
3. market
4. default preferences setting

So if you define RS base for group it will take precedence over any other setting.
(it is described in both ReleaseNotes.html and User's guide "what's new" section)

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko